Preference-Settings, Save as or print

Started by Gerd, October 21, 2013, 02:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerd

Hi,

the Preferences are an area of its own (complexity). Sooo many possibilities ...

I want to have a function either to save/recall them or to print. If a print is the only/easier possibility, I prefer a layout, where I can see the default settings next my settings.
If I have to create a new database, I'm affraid, that I do not find back all the changes in the different tabs ...  :o

... and screenshots from 18 tabs with sometimes several pages is also not, what we say in Germany:"The yellow from the egg" ....  ;)
_______
Regards
Gerd

JohnZeman

FWIW I print mine but not to paper, to my iPad.  Then with my iPad sitting next to me I can import configurations and recreate all my settings and work spaces from scratch  in less than 5 minutes.

Gerd

Hi John,

how do you print this? Don't say as screenshots .....
_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

This would be a major effort. Many settings don't have a name or description, the "exist" only within a dialog box. And there are hundreds of them. And of course all the new names and defaults would have to be translated as well, because otherwise you would be unable to tell which is what when your UI is not English. Very high effort on my part and the part of the translators.

IMatch can export and import:

• Categories
  • Attributes
  • Thesaurus
  • File Window Layouts
  • Metadata Panel Layouts
  • Scripts
  • HTML Templates and Apps
  • File Window Tips
  • Metadata Templates
  • Custom File Formats

Which settings do you need to restore frequently and why? What is the most effort to restore?
IMatch keeps all non-database specific settings anyway, unless you delete the PTS file. Only database-specific settings may be needed to restored after switching databases - but most IMatch users use the same database for years!

I often have to start with a fresh settings database for testing purposes. With a few screen shots I can restore all my settings in a few minutes.
And when I need another database, I just close the database, copy the file on disk, open the new database in IMatch, go to Edit > Preferences > Database and let IMatch generate a new ID. Then I have two separate databases with the same settings.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Gerd

Hi Mario,

I mean only the settings in the preferences-tabs ... the colors, the metadata, aplication-settings, file-formats, Geo&Maps, and so on ...

If you have these settings in a separate table, only a simple field-name & value list with english names is ok ...

or can I save the settings-files and use them for a new database?
_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

Metadata are database specific (I think) but you only need maybe 10 seconds to set them.
Colors are not database-specific, application settings, file formats, Geo & Maps are all not database specific.
All these settings. And you can export the file formats even (see my list above).

Quotesettings in a separate table,

See my comment above. This is no "table".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Gerd

Hi,
have I to it step by step with all listed points!  :o

... or is there somewhere (hidden) an export-all?
_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

There is no export all. You usually don't need to export and import all that stuff. All application and user settings are forever. Only the database-specific settings need to be reset when you create a new database. But 95% of all IMatch users use only one database, and this database is used for years. No need to spend weeks developing more import & export features - there are already such features in place for all relevant data.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JohnZeman

Quote from: Gerd on October 21, 2013, 03:21:39 PM
Hi John,

how do you print this? Don't say as screenshots .....

Actually Gerd I do use screen shots, I use them a lot.  But I also use a Microsoft Word file that I store in my PC Dropbox folder which my iPad immediately loads and displays.  It probably won't be of use to you, but I've attached that Word file to my reply here along with a screen shot of what's in that Word file in case you can't view Word files.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gerd

Hi John,

doesn't matter for me if Word, Excel, PDF or JPG ... via SkyDrive I can access all necessary data via my WindowsPhone!  ;)

I thought too simple: One Preference-Setup -> one table -> one output to print or to save ...
_______
Regards
Gerd