Automatic Face Recognition - always on

Started by PandDLong, July 05, 2021, 07:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandDLong

I can't seem to get Face Recognition to not run when files are first indexed by iMatch.   I have a set of staging folders which are known to iMatch and into which I put photos to start my cataloguing workflow. 

Whenever I add photos, there is always some annotations for faces when I first go to view them - so Face Recognition must be running automatically.   I would like to have it 'off' (which is the default I believe). 

Attached is a screen shot of my preferences.  Right after this screen shot I added a couple of photos and they got annotated for faces upon indexing.

Perhaps there is another setting which is interfering with the 'Automatic Face Recognition: No' setting?   Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

Michael

Mario

Maybe these files contain XMP with face regions?
Run the "List Metadata" preset in the ExifTool Command Processor  and search for region

I don't see how IMatch could run FR when this setting is off. The setting is explicitly checked when files are scanned, and the entire FR machinery is only triggered when it is on.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

Well, that was a surprise for me. 

The photos are direct from camera into an iMatch folder so I had assumed no XMP and no annotations.  I was wrong.

I double-checked and the camera is doing some automatic annotations.

Thanks for the follow-up.  Mystery solved.

Michael

PandDLong

As a final note, I should have figured this out on my own - since the in-camera annotation does a really bad job.   No comparison to iMatch Facial Recognition.
:)

Mario

Most cameras allow to turn off face recognition, which might save you some work correcting the mistakes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook