Geo Locations - Do not overwrite existing GPS coordinates

Started by JohnZeman, July 12, 2021, 07:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnZeman

According to the Locations help page when editing a location the checkbox option Update only empty fields in target file currently says this....

Only fill empty fields
This option controls whether the location metadata replaces all existing address and GPS metadata in the file when you apply a location or if only empty fields are filled.

When I check that option and apply that location to an image IMatch correctly ignores any metadata location fields that currently contain other data.  However existing GPS coordinates are still replaced.

Is that correct?  If so is there a way to tell a location to not replace the GPS coordinates if they already exist in the image?

Mario

Assigning a location to a file sets the GPS coordinates of the file to the GPS coordinates of the location. That's the main purpose.
The Update only empty... option is only applied to secondary elements like country, city or location.

Maybe just check for the globe icon before applying the location?
Or filtering out files which have GPS coordinates before selecting and applying the location?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

Ok thanks Mario, that's what I've been doing.

The way the help is worded though made me think that option meant a location would not overwrite GPS coordinates if they already existed.

Mario

If you have feedback for a help topic, use the feedback link at the bottom of each help topic.
This automatically routes your suggestion/request into the proper list on my end.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

Quote from: Mario on July 12, 2021, 08:02:04 PM
If you have feedback for a help topic, use the feedback link at the bottom of each help topic.
This automatically routes your suggestion/request into the proper list on my end.

Done. :)