Switching Workspaces should not switch photo

Started by vbt, May 09, 2020, 11:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbt

I would ideally like the focused file to remain in focus, and on screen, if I change workspace. But I see from searching the forum that this or similar requests have been raised in the past but not accepted.

However I did see, in a very old post, a comment from Mario that offered a workaround. I am referring to the comment in reply 16 of this thread:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=4241.0

This reply I think says that "last used" folder history (and the category history) would be stored on a per database level.

Am I correct in thinking IMatch no longer works like that? And if not, is there any chance of getting it changed back (at least as an option), so that the suggested workaround can be used?

Mario

I'm not sure what your question is.
All relevant UI data is stored in the workspace, including the selected file / selection, selection and expansion state of tree controls.
It would be technically hard or sometimes even impossible to restore the "focus" (I assume you mean which file/folder/category/collection/time-line node/ is selected/focused) when switching work spaces. Even if I would break out the focused file functionality (and everything that is related to it in workspaces) it might not work when a different workspace is loaded. It's just not worth the effort.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

vbt

In a post you said:

However, in 5.6.24 I have re-established the store/load functionality of the folder history, which somehow went away along the road. The "last used" folder history (and the category history) is stored on a per.-database level, not on the workspace level. For your particular R this means that you should be able to quickly re-stablish whatever folder was selected after switching to another workspace (which restores the last selected folder from that particular workspace). You can just go back in the history.

My question is: "Is the functionality you are describing in this quote in the current version of IMatch"?

Jingo

I attempted to get around this by creating an APP that would just open/close panels... and allow you to save/load panel configs.  I ran into issues because there is no way to currently know the panel "state" (on/off) for indication purposes and positioning relied upon the last value... so, I abandoned it.  I have just learned to live with the stored folder path in the workspace and switch back after changing.... luckily, I don't change workspaces all that often.  If I am going to working on a specific folder and switching workspaces during a session, I just save/overwrite the workspace and my new file location is then used after switching.

Mario

QuoteMy question is: "Is the functionality you are describing in this quote in the current version of IMatch"?

You are quoting something I've said for IMatch 5? There have been many years since then and I don't remember a change.

What is your exact problem?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

vbt

I am asking if the functionality you described in that post is in the current version of IMatch.

Mario

This post is 5 years (!) old. Many things have changed since then. In IMatch. In workspaces.
The current behavior does not seem to be an issue for many users, else it would be reported or requested more often.

Workspaces store folder states and category states etc. This cannot be easily changed and would be technically very challenging. And not even possible in all situations. For example, if the selected folder is not visible in the workspace you load, hidden under a collapsed parent. Or the filters are different etc. As I said, not enough user requests for this to spend a week or two on changing how workspaces work.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

vbt

I said in my first post that it was an old post, so I don't know why you are telling me the post is old.

I am not asking for you to change the current behaviour beyond returning it to what is was (or you said it would be) in the past.

I am asking for the "last used" folder history (and the category history) to be stored on a per database level, not on the workspace level.

Mario

QuoteI am asking for the "last used" folder history (and the category history) to be stored on a per database level, not on the workspace level.

They are. Just checked. When I clear change the history in workspace A (or even empty it) and then switch to workspace B, the list contains the changes (or is still empty).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

vbt

OK.

I checked and I can see the workspace history is stored on a per database basis.

What confused me is that having switched workspace clicking the blue back arrow does not necessarily take you back to the previous folder.

Instead the workaround is (a) switch workspace, (b) click on the dropdown arrow next to the blue back arrow, (c) select the folder you were previously in. (It will not always be in the same position in the drop down list but will be near the top of the list.)

I will give it a try but I suspect I won't persist and will revert to just resizing panels etc as required.

Carlo Didier

I also agree that the workspace should not store (and thus reset) the current selection. It's not logical. "Workspace" means the environment in which you work, not the objects you work on.
It's like if you change your desktop background image, Windows would automatically also close Word and open Excel instead. Or, if you changed the spelling settings in Word, it would automatically close your current file and open the one you had last open with the settings you just choose. Just doesn't make sense and annoys me every day.

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on May 10, 2020, 10:45:02 PM
I also agree that the workspace should not store (and thus reset) the current selection. It's not logical. "Workspace" means the environment in which you work, not the objects you work on.
It's like if you change your desktop background image, Windows would automatically also close Word and open Excel instead. Or, if you changed the spelling settings in Word, it would automatically close your current file and open the one you had last open with the settings you just choose. Just doesn't make sense and annoys me every day.

I agree with this fully.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

ubacher

This has been requested much before. It helps to understand that the switching of workspaces is intended
to switch to a different set of work. If you have one workspace for dealing with images and another which
deals with text files only then it makes sense to also switch the selected folder.

What we want is a PANEL LAYOUT storage which allows us to just change the layout of the screen without
changing the file/folder we are working with.

Mario

I may consider the suggestions in this thread when I ever rewrite the workspace system in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Quote from: ubacher on May 11, 2020, 08:55:07 AM
What we want is a PANEL LAYOUT storage which allows us to just change the layout of the screen without
EXACTLY! That's my only use case for workspaces.

Jingo

Quote from: Carlo Didier on May 11, 2020, 02:13:50 PM
Quote from: ubacher on May 11, 2020, 08:55:07 AM
EXACTLY! That's my only use case for workspaces.

That is exactly what I tried to create an APP for (https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=9502.0)... but currently the endpoints do not provide for an on/off state so it kinda fell apart.  Also, don't think we can use endpoints to position panels either so their last state is all we have access to.

A Panel Layout feature would be perfect!  +1

Carlo Didier

Any news on this? Maybe for iMatch 2021?
I would love to have several workspaces (or panel layouts), but they are useless as long as they always switch to an old folder ...

Mario

I did not recall. I had to check the release notes.

Is there a feature request for this?
Features requested in general discussion posts will be forgotten. I don't look in this board for feature requests.

Anyway, from the IMatch 2021 release notes:

IMatch by default now retains the currently selected folder, category, collection etc. when you switch between workspaces.

This behavior can be disabled under Edit > Preferences > Application: Workspaces.

You might want to disable this new behavior when you use workspaces to manage different projects and you want to restore the last used folder, category etc. when you switch to a project-related workspace.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on June 29, 2021, 03:37:20 PM
I did not recall. I had to check the release notes.

Is there a feature request for this?
Features requested in general discussion posts will be forgotten. I don't look in this board for feature requests.

Anyway, from the IMatch 2021 release notes:

IMatch by default now retains the currently selected folder, category, collection etc. when you switch between workspaces.

This behavior can be disabled under Edit > Preferences > Application: Workspaces.

You might want to disable this new behavior when you use workspaces to manage different projects and you want to restore the last used folder, category etc. when you switch to a project-related workspace.

Sounds very cool, in this case I will change workspaces much more often.  ;D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Jingo

Same here.. excellent for me too!  Another app I can officially retire  :-)

Mario

Quote from: Jingo on June 29, 2021, 10:14:36 PM
Same here.. excellent for me too!  Another app I can officially retire  :-)

No-hoh...!
You first must UPGRADE to IMatch 2021 to get all the good new stuff (evil laugh)  ;D
I've worked for more than a year on this new version, the release notes have more than 100 entries and I think the fair upgrade fee is well deserved.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

I'm sure you realize I will send you the $$$ as soon as the release is made official (heck - I'd send it to you now if you accepted it!)  8)

I was referring to my own "Panel Show/Hide" user app that I wrote to try and handle something like this...  ;D

Mario

I understood that.
I just wanted to add a shameless plug.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

Finally we have workspace change that will be of value and as usual with bells and whistles (option to use current setup)
Looking forward to 2021 it gets better and better.

Aubrey