lens name

Started by Aubrey, July 11, 2021, 04:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I've got a new lens in my collection Tokina 11-20 f/2.8. However It's not being recognized by IMatch.
IMatch coming up with: "8B 48 1C 30 24 24 85 06" for the lens name.
JSON content from Metadata Analyst.
"LensID": {
        "id": "Nikon-LensID",
        "table": "Composite",
        "val": "8B 48 1C 30 24 24 85 06"
      },

When I use the ExifGUI tool and look under "Maker" tab I get "Lens 11-20 mm f/2.8". Nothing useful appears under the exif tab.

I've searched the Metadata Analyst JSON file and do not see the expression: "Lens 11-20 mm f/2.8"

Metadata Analyst informs us:
This technical view shows the native metadata extracted with ExifTool from the file and the optional XMP sidecar file.

Is this all the metadata that is in the file or only metadata that has been extracted from the file and resides in the IMatch database?

If it's the latter, then I have to work out how to find and extract "Lens 11-2-mm f/2.8"

The does not appear to be a short code for lens type?

I tested a Tokina (belonging to a friend)  AT-X 11-16 PRO DX11 and this correctly came up with the name

BTW when doing a topic search I came across this...
Mario has a great rant here... and I fully agree with him!
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?action=post;quote=51248;topic=7372.0;last_msg=51248

Mario

Lens names are not encoded as text in the EXIF record.
Instead vendors use 3 or more numerical values / arrays to indicate the lens name.
Frequently, the same numbers are used for different lenses!

ExifTool uses internal lookup tables to map from these numbers to a user-readable lens name.
These tables are maintained by Phil and updated with the help of users, providing sample images for their lenses, which allows Phil to extend the lens database in ExifTool.

"Maker" indicates proprietary maker notes I believe? IMatch does not rely on those.
IMatch uses the "best" lens data by looking at these lens tags provided by ExifTool:

<source>Composite\Nikon-LensID\LensID</source>
<source>Composite\Ricoh-LensID\LensID</source>
<source>Composite\XMP-LensID\LensID</source>
<source>Composite\Exif-LensID\LensID</source>
<source>XMP::exifEX\LensModel\LensModel\0</source>
<source>Exif::Main\42036\LensModel</source>
<source>Exif::Main\42034\LensInfo</source>
<source>Composite\Nikon-LensSpec\LensSpec</source>
<source>Composite\Canon-Lens\Lens</source>

It is very likely that your lens is unknown to ExifTool, and thus to IMatch. Thanks to the camera vendors for such a messed up way to encode lens information (why not a clear text field?).

QuoteIs this all the metadata that is in the file or

Metadata Panel in Browser Mode.
The Tag Manager

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Communicated through exif tool forum.
Phil will update the number for next release. Looks like Nikon have changed it.

So next release of Exif tool we install should be for IMatch 2021  ;)

Aubrey

Mario

Camera and lens vendors could make this all so much easier.
But the give a shit and paying customers let them get away with it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Aubrey on July 11, 2021, 04:16:12 PM

I tested a Tokina (belonging to a friend)  AT-X 11-16 PRO DX11 and this correctly came up with the name

I have also exactly this lens ... but mine is hmmm, I am not sure, must be about 20 years old or even older.
With my e.g. Nikon D750 I can not use the whole wide angle, because it cuts the edges, but this lens is very sharp and very good.
I use it quite often.
And yep, IMatch shows the name for it.  ;D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus