LargeFileSupport

Started by gheppell, July 23, 2021, 01:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gheppell

Hello.  I am working with a large video file (almost 7GB) and am unable to change any metadata due to the file size.  I have:

1.  Added to the example.config file with the following - %Image::ExifTool::UserDefined::Options = (
    LargeFileSupport => 1,
);

2.  Created an additional config file with the same text, and

3.  Tried using the exiftool command processor with   "-api LargeFileSupport=1" as the first line

Nothing seems to work.  Please help.

thanks.

Mario

I have never heard about this parameter, so I guess this is a problem that no other user has at the moment.
Have you considered using a specialized video editing software to embed the metadata you want into your huge files?

I can look into this for a later version. I don't have video files that large so I first need to create some.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

So, I have spent hours to produce a video file which exceeds 4 GB.
Who deals with files than size? 4K, several hours long, all in one file?

I have enabled the large file support in the default IMatch config file and it worked without any issue.
XMP data is embedded into the MP4 file.

You can try that yourself and let me know.
Replace the imatch_et.config in the IMatch program folder with the attached version.

Keep in mind that adding/updating metadata in files with 7GB on disk will take a long time.
If you do this by clicking the pen, IMatch will do it while you wait (so to speak). I did not anticipate that users would come up with 8GB video files and so IMatch at this place only checks how many files are selected to decide whether or not to write back in-kine or in a background thread. I did not add code to sum the file size and fall back to background-writing. I will look into this when there is a spot of free time.

If you use many videos of that size, I recommend you look into one of the specialized video / media DAM systems available.
They are designed for this kind of mass volume but not really cheap, unfortunately.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

gheppell

Hello.

How do I activate the example.config file such that I can use it in the Exiftool Command Processor?  Do I rename it to ".ExifTool_config.config" and leave it in the same folder that it is in or do I move it to another folder?

In the command processor, what is the syntax that I use once the file is activated?  Is the first line "-ExifTool_config" or "-ExifTool_config.config" or "-exiftool Exiftool_config"  or something else?

Thanks

sinus

Quote from: Mario on July 24, 2021, 04:54:14 PMSo, I have spent hours to produce a video file which exceeds 4 GB.
Who deals with files than size? 4K, several hours long, all in one file?

Hm, maybe I see something wrong?

But just to say: a 5 minute video with my mobile phone results in 1.9 GB. And the mobile phone isn't even particularly good, it's an older Realme phone.
I looked in IMatch, anyway, I have several videos with around 4 GB, the biggest 7,5 GB. 
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

IMatch has enabled large file support for ExifTool for a long time now.
The option is set in the imatch ExifTool configuration file imatch_et.config
There should be no issues writing files larger than 4GB, except for the obviously slower write times.

Just made a quick text with one my own video files.
MP4 with 6.5 GB.
Writing XMP data without problems (embedded) in about 18 seconds.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator