how to deal with panoramas, folders to be excluded

Started by hannes_hab, August 11, 2021, 05:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hannes_hab

I usually have photos in a folder structure like year/month/day with subfolders in day for picture which are part of panoramas [pano] and [pano_fin] for stitched panoramas. This folder also contains the project files for the panoramas - these files are not shown in Imatch and also not shown after adding the format as new file format.

Should I tell Imatch that these files are buddy-files?

Is it possible to prevent Imatch to add some special folders (pano-tours) to the database?

thrinn

Quote from: hannes_hab on August 11, 2021, 05:58:49 PM
I usually have photos in a folder structure like year/month/day with subfolders in day for picture which are part of panoramas [pano] and [pano_fin] for stitched panoramas. This folder also contains the project files for the panoramas - these files are not shown in Imatch and also not shown after adding the format as new file format.
Should I tell Imatch that these files are buddy-files?
The question is: what do you want to achieve? A buddy file is renamed and moved together with its "main" file. For example, I sometimes shoot RAW+JPG, so I end up with as JPG that has exactly the same name as the corresponding RAW. Because I rename pictures to my naming standard, it makes sense to define the JPG as buddy of the RAW so that the name stays the same. But if your project files belong to different "main" files (for example, the pano source files and also the stiched result), I would not define them as buddies.

Quote from: hannes_hab on August 11, 2021, 05:58:49 PM
Is it possible to prevent Imatch to add some special folders (pano-tours) to the database?
Short answer: Yes. The help topic on Indexing explains the options that are available. But it depends on you r folder structure and what you exactly want to exclude. For example, if "pano-tours" is a sub folder of each day (on the same level as [pano] and [pano_fin]), then the "Skip these folders" option may be the right one.

Feel free to post a screen shot of your file/folder structure - maybe we can help you better then to answer your questions.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

IMatch shows all known formats, and user-defined formats.
If the files don't show, double-check your user-defined formats and rescan the folder. IMatch does not automatically rescan all folders in the database when you add a new user format.
Select the folder and press <Shift>+<F5> to rescan it. IMatch only automatically rescans folders when it detects the folder or files in it have changed.

Usually it makes no sense to add project files or application-specific configuration files to your DAM. It is sufficient to make them buddy files if you want IMatch to move/rename/copy/delete them with the images/video files. Buddy files work even if the buddy files are not included in the database.

thrinn beat me for the answer to your other question. You can exclude folders using the mask in the Indexing options. IMatch also by default ignores folders marked as hidden and/or system (file system properties in Windows Explorer).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook