Imatch 2021 (Location Categories and Other)

Started by kiwilink, August 13, 2021, 01:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

I filled in the city, address, and Country under the Metadata but the 245 pictures show up as "Other" under Categories(Location).  Is there a reason they don't show up under Ste-Marie-de-Beauce?

Thanks!

Kiwilink

JohnZeman

It looks like you're not using the standard metadata location tags, maybe that's why?

mity!

You used the creator's location tags. These are meant to be the contact and location of the artist or photographer - not the location of the taken picture.

Take a look into the IMatch Help System for GPS-Data. In the metadata panel you should find a separate "Location" section. Or you can look for the variables 'File.MD.Country' '...City' and so on.

You can find a description of a workflow for Locations in the help, too. That's much better than editing all the tags of each piucture by hand.

Mario

This standard category is based on the standard location tags IMatch uses everywhere:

Composite\MWG-Country\Country
Composite\MWG-City\City
Composite\MWG-Location\Location

If you use other tags, just create a data-driven category which uses the tags you want.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Thank you JohnZeman, mity, and Mario for your guidance.  I went to the Map panel/Edit Locations and filled in all the information for a place I took dozens of Images at in Canada (GOLF DE BEAUCE IN STE-MARIE-DE-BEAUCE).  See attachment 1.   Everytime I chose Eastern (Canada) timezone and said ok it always came back to Bogata (not sure why).  Next I chose location/Go To and chose   GOLF DE BEAUCE IN STE-MARIE-DE-BEAUCE.  A red circle appeared.  The target marker did not show up and I am unable to choose "locate the target marker on the map".  If I click on the  GOLF DE BEAUCE IN STE-MARIE-DE-BEAUCE then the target marker will drop but not EXACTLY where it is supposed to.  I assume what I am doing is wrong because I should not have to drop the target marker manually.   I then highlighted several images and hit "apply the target marker" thinking all of the information would be inserted into the fields I had just filled out when I created the location (I have automatic reverse geocoding set to yes). 
I'm definitely doing something wrong.  If you can take a look at my process and let me know what I did wrong I would appreciate it.  I'm trying to create locations where I have shot a lot of images and then apply that info to my images (metadata).  If I create a location I can get the exact correct information and then import it into my images.

Thank you!

Kiwilink

thrinn

If I understand you correctly, you were able to create a location. Then you selected the location (Goto Location or L) and the yellow circle with red border appeared. Now, you do NOT have to place a target marker somehow to this location. Just use the context menu (right mouse button) on the Location marker (yellow circle) and choose "Apply location coordinates to all selected files".
The target marker is used to choose a point in the map manually, not when you want to apply a predefined location.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

I also recommend the Locations help topic, and especially the Applying a Location section.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Thrinn:  Thank you!  I read and reread the manual about "right" clicking but it said right click the target marker. I never saw a target marker (see attachment) so never thought to right click inside the yellow circle.  Thank you Mario for the info.  I did read that section (always use the help manual first but it doesn't say what to do when there is no target marker visible (right click the circle). 

Mario, any idea why the timezone keeps going back to Bogata after I change it to Eastern Time zone?  I just looked and its back to Bogata again.  Thank you!

Kiwilink   

thrinn

Quote from: kiwilink on August 13, 2021, 09:55:36 PM
Thrinn:  Thank you!  I read and reread the manual about "right" clicking but it said right click the target marker. I never saw a target marker (see attachment) so never thought to right click inside the yellow circle. 
For locations, the yellow circle can be seen as a special type of target marker which is placed automatically by the Location handling of IMatch. "Location marker" is maybe a better term. The "real" target marker is unique (only one can be placed on the map). However, each location has its own "location marker". As the example in the help shows, there might be multiple location markers visible on the map at the same time. That is why you have to apply a specific location by using the context menu on the specific marker. Otherwise, how should IMatch know which location to apply?

For the target maker, on the other hand, it is simpler: As there can only be one, a menu item "Apply target marker" makes sense because there is no confusion which marker to choose.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

sinus

Quote from: kiwilink on August 13, 2021, 09:55:36 PM
Thrinn:  Thank you!  I read and reread the manual about "right" clicking but it said right click the target marker. I never saw a target marker (see attachment) so never thought to right click inside the yellow circle.  Thank you Mario for the info.  I did read that section (always use the help manual first but it doesn't say what to do when there is no target marker visible (right click the circle). 
Kiwilink

In this case I thought exactly like kiwilink. This is maybe the only disatvantage from the outstandig good help, you think, such a great help, I must read it exactly.  ;D And in this case the help was (or is still, I do not know) for once not exactly.

The explanations from Thrinn are very good, thanks a lot, and now I understand this also fully (though it was never a problem for me).
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Every help page has a feedback link at the bottom. If you find a typo, missing or unclear information, click it and let me know.
I'm working on the help all the time, and I'm happy if a user sends me a notice with some suggestions on how to improve a topic. Always welcome.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator