importing from sd-card

Started by hannes_hab, August 15, 2021, 03:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hannes_hab

I wonder if it would be better to import pictures from sd-card with ASP (Corel Aftershot Pro) as I did it all the last years (and than use IMatch to sort and or use change Metadata and add Keywords ...) or to start with Imatch from the first point.
Is the rename the right and best tool to do this first step? Are there Examples/Suggestions in the Help? Or suggestions in this forum?

Mario

Create an "Incoming" folder on your disk and add it to the database.
Drag & Drop the files from your card(s) into that folder.

IMatch indexes the files and applies your Indexing settings, e.g. a Metadata Template to fill in standard data, copy tags, apply locations, check for duplicates etc.

Cull to weed out images you don't need anymore.
Use the IMatch Viewer or your RAW processor or whatever.

Rename with the Renamer - this ensures consecutive names without gaps.
The Renamer can only rename files indexed by the database, you cannot use it to copy files from your card.

Then add metadata, keywords, whatnot.

Note: Windows 10 has a built-in importer which can copy files from your card to your disk and rename them. It has way less features than the Renamer in IMatch, so what it offers may be sufficient for you or not.
If not, use the Renamer as explained above.

This is my workflow for many years and it works a treat. Simple. Efficient. No metadata forgotten. Consistent keywords thanks to my thesaurus. Location data thanks to reverse geo-coding. IMatch is very good at automating stuff, all you need to do is to index the files you want to manage.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hannes_hab

Thank you very much, Mario!
I will try it this way

hannes_hab

an additional question:
is there a difference if creating the folder with WIN Exporer and the add it to the database or creating the folder within IMatch as new folder from the database/folders panel?

Mario

Adding it in IMatch is faster and you don't need to add it later.
You can also create entire folder hierarchies in one go etc.

If you use the "Incoming" folder approach, the folder will already exist and you just drop new files into it. Then process them and move them into their final location to free the incoming folder again.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hannes_hab

thank you Mario

about creating folder hierarchies - how can I do this?
For example if I want to create an empty folder tree like this:

PROJ
      -NOTIZ
      -PHOTOS
                  -BESTAND
                  -BAU
                  -PRAESENTATION
      -PLAN
               -PHASE
                        -ENTWURF
                        -EINREICHUNG
                        -AUSFÜHRUNG

Mario

Select the parent folder and then right-click > Create multiple folders...

If you are on PROJ and you enter NOTIZ;PHOTOS|BESTAND;PHOTOS|BAU;PHOTOS|PRAESENTATION ...
all the folders will be created in one go.

Tip: If you re-create the same folder hierarchies often, you can setup the folder list once and then copy and paste it into the IMatch Notepad to keep it.

I do that and it is super easy. I copy the folder names from IMatch Notepad into the clipboard, insert them into the "Create multiple folders..." dialog and have an entire deep hierarchy created in a second.
I use different strings for different projects and keep them all in IMatch Notepad. Also frequently used variables, a list of tips I often refer to etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

hannes_hab

Thank you - Yes that sounds very fine and easy!