globe icon shows up for some photos with gps coords but not others

Started by chupacabra, September 03, 2021, 04:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chupacabra

Some photos that have gps coordinates show the globe icon on the thumbnail in imatch while others with gps data from the same location do not.

The imatch metadata tab shows similar gps data for both.

I also have a photo shot with a phone which shows gps data in the metadata in imatch but does not have a globe on the thumbnail.

I use Capture One as my editor and if I open the metadata tab for these photos in Capture One and click on the "show in browser" link there it opens the map in the browser to the correct location for both photos. So the gps data in the two files seems to be correct.

Why would imatch show the globe for one file with valid gps coordinates but not another file with valid gps coordinates?

I have attached a screen capture.

JohnZeman

I have noticed this happens if I assign GPS coordinates using a metadata template which does not use a location.  The globe icon does not appear until I writeback the metadata then it appears.

When GPS coordinates are assigned by locations the globe icons appears right away before writeback.

Mario

Quote from: chupacabra on September 03, 2021, 04:13:12 AM
Some photos that have gps coordinates show the globe icon on the thumbnail in imatch while others with gps data from the same location do not.

Attach a sample file which exhibits this problem.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Quote from: JohnZeman on September 03, 2021, 04:27:58 AM
I have noticed this happens if I assign GPS coordinates using a metadata template which does not use a location.  The globe icon does not appear until I writeback the metadata then it appears.

IMatch manages GPS coordinates via their raw numerical value, not via the formatted text you see in the Metadata Panel.
You can only set formatted data via Metadata Templates. You cannot set numerical values like GPS coordinates that way.
The Metadata Panel knows about this, as do the Map Panel or the Location features. They set the numerical value, not the formatted.

If you set formatted GPS coordinates in a Metadata Template, they will not show in the Metadata Panel and neither will the file show the globe icon unless you do a write-back.
During the write-back, IMatch writes the formatted value as such, ExifTool converts it into the native numerical form and when IMatch reloads the metadata after the write-back from the numerical form, all will be corrected.

I recommend to set GPS coordinates either in the Metadata Panel, via Locations or via the Map panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

chupacabra

>>>Attach a sample file which exhibits this problem.

I can't attach it - too big (it's a raw file) so I've sent it to your support email address with subject "Re: globe icon shows up for some photos with gps coords but not others".

Mario

I have downloaded the file.
It has valid GPS coordinates.
It shows the globe icon in the IMatch File Window.
No problems.

The file shows sideways (90° clockwise rotated). But the EXIF orientation tag says "neutral (default)" which means that the camera has not recorded the rotation.
Unrelated to GPS, though.

Try this:
1. Select the file in a File Window.
2. Press Shift+Ctrl+F5.
3. Choose Reload Metadata.

Does this bring in the GPS data and make the globe icon show up?
If this is the case, there might have been an error processing metadata or whatever at the time the file was added.

When you see this again, make sure to save the log file immediately. See log file
The log file may contain additional info.

If you can reproduce this following specific steps, do it and then attach the log file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator