Events display & timeline

Started by Calobata, September 03, 2021, 10:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calobata

Is there an option for removing the timeline from the Events display and simply show the events in chronological order as in previous versions?
In the 2021 version I now have huge gaps between each Event, caused by each Event's occupied space on the timeline extending to the whole of its date range (with smart axis folding implemented.)
Zooming shows more events but shrinks them to illegibility.
This problem is most acute when events are of several days duration such as wildlife expeditions. More so when material brought back from those expeditions is photographed much later and added to the Event (they belong to the Event but their creation dates extend that gap)
The timeline is a useful feature but I'd like to be able to toggle it on and off so that I could see more than twice as many Events on that panel (+ filtered by Event type.)

Mario

You can see all events ordered by time in the Event Filter.
It also offers options to goto a specific event (click the event), remove one or more events etc.

When you disable the file calendar at the bottom, your events will be packed next to each other automatically.

Both options should do what you want.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Calobata

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for.
Where do I locate the function to disable the file calendar, I cannot find it in the Event's Settings panel on the Event View Toolbar. I've looked in the Help menu without success.

Mario

In the Event View configuration, right at the top.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Calobata

I did that and the Events disappeared altogether.
How do I get them back?

Mario

This just removes the Files Calendar at the bottom.
The timeline now no longer displays the days where files were taken, but only the days covered by events.

I've just tried and it works exactly as it should.
Maybe just refresh the Timeline with the button in the toolbar or <F5>?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Calobata

I'm not achieving it. I managed to get rid of the timeline now that I've reloaded the program and the Events toolbar has reappeared. What I get now is my events arranged stacked on top of one another, on the left side so only showing 3 of them and without the ability to scroll down beyond those three. If I place the events to the right of the panel using the Settings then they are similarly stacked one on top of the other, the first one partially obscuring the events toolbar, scrolling doesn't get me past 2010, the last one that that column format can achieve. Scrolling doesn't operate.

Mario

Refresh the timeline once via the refresh button in the toolbar. Any difference?
And it would help if you could include a screen shot of what you are seeing.

The Timeline is brand new and users may run into specific issues which never been reported during the test phase.
So far things worked great, though.

When the timeline shifts all events to the left, an update is missing. This may be a timing issue so we would need to know more about your computer configuration, if you have 50 or 1000 events etc.
Also include a ZIPped copy of the IMatch log file (see log file). In case IMatch ran into a problem or error we can see this in the log file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Please use the Attachments features to directly attach files to your posts.
Linking to files hosted on external servers causes privacy issues (cookes set) for every user who looks at your files in order to help you.

The effect you see is a missing update (caused most likely by a timing issue).

You did not answer my questions about if using the refresh button in the timeline does any change. It should.
You did not answer my questions about how many events you have.
You also did not include the log file as requested, so I don't know if IMatch or the timeline has logged a warning or error.
For obscure issues like this which happen only on one computer, the more info we get, the better.

I assume the problem is gone when you re-enable the Files Calendar?
Are there any events with invalid dates (they show with an "invalid" or empty duration in the timeline tiles.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Calobata

Second part:

• Number of Events 56
    Changing back to timeline restores adequately

• Log file attached
    No invalid dates that I can see

Mario

56 events is not much.
I see a ton of warnings logged by IMatch when trying to process files with the .qgs file extension.
Did you add them as a user-defined format?

Are these events folder based or category based or date-based?
I suspect there is something fishy going on with laying out the events along the timeline.
If the events are date-based you can just export them via the Export Events commands (Event View toolbar, Gear button).
If the events are calculated dynamically, you would give me the dates and times of each event so I can recreate that here somehow.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on September 07, 2021, 07:17:20 PM
I see a ton of warnings logged by IMatch when trying to process files with the .qgs file extension.
Did you add them as a user-defined format?

@Calobata - You may want to keep your QGIS (I assume) files outside the folders indexed by IMatch, unless of course you have a specific workflow reason otherwise.
John