Unable to add face annotations

Started by Stefanjan, September 08, 2021, 11:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefanjan

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I click on an image in the viewer and click F6 to run face annotation.

Click on the question box. Click on an existing name, see attached screen grab.

In the past, I'm sure the dialogue box closed and the selected name was inserted. Now nothing happens.

This is both on my laptop and desktop computers.

Images containing persons and names removed by ADMIN due to EU privacy laws.
PLEASE do not post images of your friend and family in public forums.
You can send them to support email address with a link back to this thread.

Mario

What happens if you press Ctrl+A?
What happens if you enter a name to search?
What happens if you click in the dialog and press <Ctrl>+<F5> to refresh it?

I also find it curious that this is a manual face annotation.
IMatch should have no problem detecting this face.
Why is this a manual face annotation (circle on top)?

Maybe reboot your PC once?
Did you install updates for other software recently, especially your virus checker?
Other apps not working (People Editor, People View,Event View, Dashboard)?
Any warnings W> or error messages E> in the IMatch log file (see log file).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

Quote from: Mario on September 08, 2021, 11:44:14 AM
What happens if you press Ctrl+A?
Selects the box, see 1 attached
What happens if you enter a name to search?
Finds the name but when I click on it nothing happens, see 2 attached
What happens if you click in the dialog and press <Ctrl>+<F5> to refresh it?
Doesn't make any difference
IMatch should have no problem detecting this face.
Why is this a manual face annotation (circle on top)?
Same issue when IMatch detects the wrong face
Maybe reboot your PC once?
Done but same problem after reboot.
Did you install updates for other software recently, especially your virus checker?
No, don't think so
Other apps not working (People Editor, People View, Event View, Dashboard)?
All seem to be working OK except Filters where as reported in another thread https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=11598.msg83425#msg83425
Any warnings W> or error messages E> in the IMatch log file
See log attached, there are a lot of messages in this log 'attempt to write a readonly database', is this the problem?

Images containing persons and names removed by ADMIN due to EU privacy laws.
PLEASE do not post images of your friend and family in public forums.

Mario

So you cannot assign the person by clicking the name or by using the keyboard shortcut.
IMatch had no problems detecting the face of the baby, but you created a manual face annotation for the elder gentleman in the first photo.

This seems to be a rather unique problem. No similar reports, no success when trying to reproduce this.

Please run a database diagnosis to check that your database is OK.
Maybe also re-install IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

QuoteAny warnings W> or error messages E> in the IMatch log file
Mario, you did not comment on my answer "there are a lot of messages in this log 'attempt to write a readonly database', is this the problem?"
So you cannot assign the person by clicking the name or by using the keyboard shortcut.
IMatch had no problems detecting the face of the baby, but you created a manual face annotation for the elder gentleman in the first photo.
I turned off automatic face recognition some time ago. The manual face annotation was a mistake. I have loads of incorrectly identified faces where I need to correct the person name. IMatch does not have a problem detecting faces but when it suggests the wrong person, I am no longer able to select the correct person unless they are a completely new person.
Please run a database diagnosis to check that your database is OK.
No errors when running database diagnosis
Maybe also re-install IMatch.
Yes I will do this, but before I do it can I check.
1. Should I first uninstall IMatch
2. Should I delete the database
3. Should I remove all IMatch associated files and folders
4. Is it possible to export and reimport my customisations e.g. Buddy, versions, renamer, batch export, print, workspaces or do I to write all these settings down and recreate them?

Mario

It seems you have managed to make the telemetry database read-only by force.
Or your anti-virus software is blocking IMatch from storing info to this database.
IMatch never makes this read-only so you need to figure out how this happened on your system. Something you must have done. Or some software you run.
Fix this problem first before we can continue.

You have also enabled IMatch portability options, which fail to work on your database.
Check your auto-relocation entries in Edit > Preferences > Database: Portability.

If you fix this, your log file will be much cleaner.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stefanjan

I also just remembered that I had a recent issue with Microsoft Visual C and had to run repair on each installation till the issue was corrected.

There are quite a few versions on my PC, see attached. Does IMatch use one of these, which one?

Which database is the telemetery database?

I thought portability was working OK but I can delete these and rebuild.

Mario

C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\config\imatch.tdb
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stefanjan

Issue now resolved on both my laptop and desktop.

Tried changing properties of folder to "Full Control" but that had no impact until I uninstalled Kapersky virus checker and changed the folder properties again. That fixed it. So will not be using Kapersky in the future but rely on Microsoft Defender Virus checker.

Mario

Maybe it would have been sufficient to make the IMatch executable an exception in Kaspersky.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stefanjan

Quote from: Mario on September 10, 2021, 08:08:35 PM
Maybe it would have been sufficient to make the IMatch executable an exception in Kaspersky.
I believe I already did that. Anyway decided to make my life less complicated by just using defender virus checker.

Mario

Defender works very well and does usually not get in the way.
Unless you reply on additional services provided by Kaspersky, it should be more than sufficient.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator