Import/Export people

Started by hluxem, March 07, 2020, 05:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hluxem

Hello all,

There is an import/export feature for people. I was hoping to use that feature to load the file in Excel and add missing data to existing people in the database. This uses an json file and after a little bit of searching and some playing I was able to load the file in Excel. I have not been able to save back the changes to the json file. As I'm not familiar with the json format, I was hoping someone with more knowledge has some advise on how to work with these kind of files.
Is there a way to open and edit a json file in a more readable way than with Notepad and edit fields like DOB, group, sort field ect. and save it back to JSON? I think if I could edit the json file similar to editing a spreadsheet I could easily fill all the missing values for my imported 600 persons. 

Thanks,

Heiner

Mario

JSON is one of the major data exchange formats for object-oriented data.
Excel does spreadhsheets and lists. This is not the best possible tool for working with JSON, although Excel understands JSON. See the help.

Why don't you use the Person Editor in IMatch?
Would that not be faster than learning about JSON, getting the data into Excel, learning how to produce the JSON object structure expected by IMatch from your Excel spreadsheet using a custom program and then re- importing? Seems to me you are making your life to hard. Editing data of 600 people should not take long in the Person Editor.

Note that the import/export features in the People View are for very specific purposes and rely on a specific JSON format.
Trying to import a JSON file that was not exported by IMatch may break your database. Or introduce issues which show up several months from now. I don't endorse or support this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: hluxem on March 07, 2020, 05:17:18 PM
Is there a way to open and edit a json file in a more readable way than with Notepad and edit fields like DOB, group, sort field ect. and save it back to JSON? I think if I could edit the json file similar to editing a spreadsheet I could easily fill all the missing values for my imported 600 persons. 

Thanks,

Heiner

There are lots of tools to edit JSON files... I personally use a few including: jsoneditoronline.org or www.appdevtools.com/json-editor

Mees Dekker

Is there any news on this?

I have data on several 100's of people, but entering all the data manually 1 by 1 into IMatch is very time consuming. How to batch-import these data from an Excel list?

Mario

There is no demand for importing People data from arbitrary Excel lists.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook