dashboard actions: Add orphan xmp files and leftover temporary files

Started by ubacher, September 22, 2021, 10:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

Would it be useful to also list orphaned XMP files and leftover temporary files (from exiftool)
on the Actions in the dashboard?

Mario

A good idea - in theory.
Problem is that scanning all folders in the database for orphaned XMP files and the (rarel) ExifTool TEMP files can be a real performance drag.
Especially if your database contains thousands of folders or even folders on a NAS.

IMatch could run that once, during start, when the corresponding Dashboard action is enabled.
This would show all of these files from past IMatch sessions...

Not sure how many users are really affected by problems like this. Orphaned XMP files are rare, unless you move files around in Windows Explorer or other unsuited software.
Danging ExifTool temp files are also very rare, usually only only left when ExifTool crashes or runs into write error.

I'll move this post into the feature request board, where it IMHO belongs.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

I did have some problems with writing back old files - took me a while until I found the error:
some old jpg_original file from exiftool existed and exiftool complained and did not work.

For these files one can scan with explorer - provided one suspect or knows about them.

Trickier are abandoned xmp files. It will take Imatch to check if the file is orphaned/unused or not.

Since the dashboard is designed to show up problems it seems the logical place to have such an option.
Maybe to run only on demand. Or maybe a link to a script which performs such checks.