Duplicate files in renamer - stop the renamer

Started by frankdarwin, October 19, 2021, 09:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

I wanted to rename several 100 files with the Renamer. Unfortunately I did not use the preview function but started the renaming immediately by mistake. What can always happen.
After renaming some files I got the error message that a file cannot be renamed because the file name already exists.
The only option offered to me is to press OK.
But since several file names were duplicated, the message comes again for each duplicated file.
Because I didn't know how many filenames were duplicated I had no choice but to quit IMatch with the task manager.

Is it really the case that you can only get out of this situation with the help of the task manager, or have I overlooked something?

If there is currently no other way to stop the renamer, this might be worth a feature request.

Mario

A duplicate file name normally does not bring up the error message, the file is just listed later as failed. This error message means that the IMatch engine actually failed to rename the file on disk, for some reason!

I can run the Renamer using the text step ABC, producing 100 failed rename ops (due to duplicate file name).
But no error message is shown. The files just show up in the result as "Failed, Duplicate File name".

Check your Renamer steps. Do you work with versions or buddy files? DO ONLY rename the masters, because the Renamer will rename the linked files automatically.

If your Renamer steps produce so many error messages that you are unable to click on the Cancel button in the progress dialog, you should do more tests before. These error messages don't come from the Renamer but are panic messages from the IMatch engine. IMatch cannot anticipate every possible fringe case and add code to deal with it, sorry.

Just be more careful and test before you rename hundreds of files. Use the Preview. DO NOT rename versions or buddy files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook