NEF file rotation in IMatch

Started by Aubrey, January 26, 2021, 10:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

The exif rotation of raw files has been removed from IMatch - some users reported issues.
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=10794.msg77006#msg77006
Mario: "A user has reported that rotating a TIFF that way damaged the file and since I could not figure out how this could happen, I restricted this to JPEG files only. And JPEG files are usually the only files where you face a wrong orientation - because the camera could not decide which orientation is correct."

I've just processed NEF images where camera (D500) has been facing vertically down. They get uploaded into IMatch with the wrong orientation. I expect that the orientation sensor in the camera does not work well with vertically down. I've used the Exiftool Command Processor to resolve my issue.

Find below my setup to do this, it may be useful to another user.
"#" in first column is a comment, a reminder as to which orientation you may require.
Aubrey.

-orientation#=1
# blank sets no rotation
# 1 = Horizontal (normal)
# 2 = Mirror horizontal
# 3 = Rotate 180
# 4 = Mirror vertical
# 5 = Mirror horizontal and rotate 270 CW
# 6 = Rotate 90 CW
# 7 = Mirror horizontal and rotate 90 CW
# 8 = Rotate 270 CW
{Files}

ChasS

I am having the same problem with NEF files when taking a virtical and showing as a wrong rotation, i.e. horizontal, in thumbnales. Never used to happen. If I open the same file in other applications orientation is correct. If I look at thumnales in Windows file explorer all are orinted correctly. Can correct with the Rotate and Transform, but fidly and time consuming.

As it is only some files can't do a select all and rotate. JPG are fine, only NEF. Would like more information on this change in Exiftool Command Processor. Does it restore the old operation? Don't want to have to select individual files and run something.

Mario

QuoteI've used the Exiftool Command Processor to resolve my issue.
Make sure to update EXIF and XMP rotation, they must match.

QuoteI am having the same problem with NEF files when taking a virtical and showing as a wrong rotation, i.

I have written many times about all the usual causes for this problem, but you don't give me any information to work with.
For example, the image file to check, whether or not you are using WIC codecs, and if so, which (Windows built-in, the one from Nikon, ...?)
Or do you make IMatch uses LibRaw?
Maybe the WIC codec on your system does not handle this file and IMatch falls back to LibRaw?
Run a WIC Diagnostics to check.

Windows Explorer uses the thumbnail in the file. IMatch uses the embedded preview if large enough, else develops the full RAW.
Embedded previews are usually never rotated so there should be no problem. Unless the camera did not neutral-rotate the preview, or the EXIF orientation is wrong.
Without looking at the file and knowing your configuration, there is little I can do.
I use Nikon bodies myself, no rotation issues.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ChasS

Thanks, have sent WIC Diagnostics. I just couldn't find where to look for the answer. Serching the forum didn't find a simple thing like look for a different Codec file.

jch2103

I've run into this incorrect rotation issue with my portrait orientation NEF files. Based on discussions elsewhere on these boards, I had removed my FastPictureViewer Codec Pack on my desktop and installed the latest version of the Microsoft Codec. FPV is still on my laptop. I'm finding that NEF portrait images that showed correct orientation on my laptop are incorrectly rotated to horizontal on my desktop Viewer window. Worse, if I do a Force Update on one of these images, the thumbnail gets rotated. WIC Diagnostics for the same image from both desktop and laptop are attached.

How do I fix this? And better yet, prevent it in the future? Maybe I need to reinstall FPV after all??

John

Mario

Please send me the NEF file. I have tons of NEF files from my own cameras and many customer samples which just work with the standard WIC codecs in Windows.

Do you use WIC or have you enabled "Prefer photools.com RAW processing" under Edit > Preferences > Application? Are the two rotation override options set to "No"?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Setting "Prefer photools.com RAW processing" under Edit > Preferences > Application to 'Yes' solved the problem (the other two options were already set to 'No'. I didn't realize that change was required when I changed from FPV to the Microsoft codecs. I'll have to set my laptop accordingly when I change the codec there.

No need for me to send any of my NEF files.
John

Mario

QuoteI didn't realize that change was required when I changed from FPV to the Microsoft codecs

This change is not required. If you read the corresponding help (in the small window at the bottom of the dialog) you'll see what this option does.
It switches IMatch to use LibRaw instead of the installed WIC codec.

If this works now, the default Windows WIC codec has problems with your particular NEF variant.
Such problems may even be linked to a specific computer. If you send me a NEF file I can do some tests (support email address).
Include a link back to this thread since I'm getting tons of email every day.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

I've sent a sample NEF image to your support email, with a link back to this topic. I installed the latest Microsoft codec, so I'm surprised it didn't work w/o changes in the Preferences.
John

Mario

When you enable this option, WIC codecs are no longer used.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Hi, John

I've today looked at the NEF file you sent to me.
This is indeed a problem with the WIC driver included in Windows 10.

I get the wrong orientation as well. And when I open the NEF in the WIC test utility provided by Microsoft, I get first a ton of strange error messages about problems reading the metadata in the file, and then I see the image also rotated wrong.

The EXIF orientation in the file states "Rotate 90 CW", which matches what we see.
The file has the RAW data, a 1024 x 681 thumbnail and a full-size preview. All show the same (wrong) orientation in the WIC test tools.
I think Window WIC fails to read the metadata properly and thus cannot perform the rotation as needed.

LibRaw has no problems with this file, so enabling "Favor photools.com RAW processing" does the trick.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

I use the Nikon provided NEF codec and it now works well and as efficient as the alternatives.

Mario

Unfortunately, Nikon is the only camera vendor which offers their own WIC codec.
All other vendors, including Canon, have cheaped out and let Microsoft, Adobe and other do their job.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

heicron

Greetings,

I had the same NEF rotation problem recently out of the blue and found this thread in searching for a solution. I enabled "Prefer photools.com RAW processing" and left the other two options to "NO" and orientation was back to normal.

I have been using the Insider preview build of Windows 11 for several weeks and reinstalling my most used apps a little at a time. IMatch had been working just fine with the MS codecs and I don't know if it was from a Windows update or a TIFF file I tried to index. The indexing of the TIFF caused a problem and I deleted it from the database. After restarting IMatch the orientation problem began.

I also have a second PC with copies of the images and database on internal drives and Windows 10, all works well and uses the MS codec. I remember that with previous PCs I used the Nikon codecs as I have only Nikon cameras and I also use the Nikon View application, which is now NX Studio. I downloaded and installed the latest Nikon codec, changed "Prefer photools.com RAW processing" to NO. All seems ok now.

I originally installed IM 2021 8.10 and just before the problem arose installed the current version. In trying to fix the problem I uninstalled it and reinstalled V 8.10 and a new copy of the working DB from the other PC, but no solution. I'll try it again and look into the TIFF problem.

Thanks to all for this great support forum.