Can a person have 2 identities for face recognition?

Started by DigPeter, October 26, 2021, 02:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

I have an unusual situation.  An individual who has a person definition with tag their given name - Jane for example.  I want to add a second definition for the same individual, for example, with tag J. Brown, and to be able to select which of the 2 definitions to use.

I would not wish to make this a feature request and expect that it is not possible.

Mario

I'm not sure what the use-case would be.

You can create any number of persons. But if you assign different persons to the "same" face, you will make impossible for the face recognition AI to pick the right person. Or you would confuse it. Two persons for the same face is really something that should be avoided.

You can add additional names to the person, and then use these names for display and other purposes. Would that not do the same thing?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on October 26, 2021, 03:56:50 PM
I'm not sure what the use-case would be.
Thanks Mario.
Bill Brown is left back for his football team, Jes Jacobs is right back, etc for the whole team.  The team photo would show them tagged Bill Brown (left back), etc.  But other photos of my friend Bill Brown would just be tagged Bill Brown.

QuoteYou can create any number of persons. But if you assign different persons to the "same" face, you will make impossible for the face recognition AI to pick the right person. Or you would confuse it. Two persons for the same face is really something that should be avoided.
This is what I feared.

QuoteYou can add additional names to the person, and then use these names for display and other purposes. Would that not do the same thing?
I am not sue that would solve my problem.

jch2103

One option might be to set up a 'team position' category. You could use that in searches: "Bill Brown" + "left back". Not sure how well the workflow would work for this, though...
John

DigPeter

Thanks, but not quite what I want.  Faced with a team photo, I would like to view all players names with their positions.

Mario

Maybe just switch the person label as needed?

You can choose between Tag, Full Name and Short Name. The label is used in the File Window and in the Viewer.
Use the Tag or Short Name for the normal case, and switch to Full name to show the additional person info.
You can switch the label under Edit > Preferences > Application. Search for label.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on October 26, 2021, 07:05:50 PM
Maybe just switch the person label as needed?

You can choose between Tag, Full Name and Short Name. The label is used in the File Window and in the Viewer.
Use the Tag or Short Name for the normal case, and switch to Full name to show the additional person info.
You can switch the label under Edit > Preferences > Application. Search for label.
Thanks Mario - that could well be the solution.