Make .PP3 processing files move automatically with the RAW file

Started by Stuntflyer, April 29, 2020, 12:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuntflyer

When editing in Raw Therapee a RAW file gets an associated .pp3 processing file. That locates in the same folder as the RAW file. Can IMatch be configured to automatically move the .pp3 file when the RAW file is moved?

Mike

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stuntflyer

This is how Raw Therapee names the processing files. Is my entry incorrect?

^(_*{name})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.(nks|jpg|jpeg|dng|psd|pp3)$

Mario

I don't use RT, but if you only need the PP3 as the buddy file,

^(_*{name})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.pp3$

would do. Or, if the names of the PP3 files are always the same as the RAW files (blah.RAW => blah.PP3), you can use

{name}\.pp3

I guess. This means "use the same name as the RAW, but append a .pp3".

Tip: You can try this out with the integrated test feature for file relations. Add your mask, the name of a RAW and PP3 file and see if it matches.
The complex original sample with all the ^and +/. and [0-9]... is helpful if the buddy file and RAW file names differ in more than just the extension.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stuntflyer

Okay, I will try out you suggestion. It is working now which did not happen for the first few times that I moved the nef file. Now it is. I love this program and the outstanding support offered.

Mike

Stuntflyer

Working intermittently. Is there a way to see the pp3 file in the file window. Not sure about this expression syntax stuff. My buddy nef files are dng, jpg, psd,pp3,tif. I see the pp3 in file manager okay.

M

Stuntflyer

Okay, the program creates the processing file called 1200.dng.pp3. If I change the file name to 1200.pp3 then the buddy system works. Is there a syntax I could use to get around having to rename the pp3 file. Or, should I batch rename the files in Imatch? I cannot see them however. As I mentioned I do have other buddy files for nefs.  Those being, dng,tif,psd,jpg,pdf.

M

herman

Quote from: Stuntflyer on April 29, 2020, 02:45:31 AM
Okay, the program creates the processing file called 1200.dng.pp3. If I change the file name to 1200.pp3 then the buddy system works.

In that case use {filename}.\(pp3)$ in stead of {name}\.(pp3)$ as your Link Expression.
Enjoy!

Herman.

Stuntflyer

I know that this is not correct. I'm confused as to where to place it.

^(_*{name})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.(nks|jpg|jpeg|dng|psd|tif|{filename}.\(pp3)$

M

herman

As the .pp3 uses the extension of the original file in it's filename (e.g. 12345.cr2.pp3), and the other buddy files don't do this, you need to separate the definition for the .pp3 files from the other buddy files.

You might try this:

^(_*{filename})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.(pp3)$

And let us know if it works (or not....)
Enjoy!

Herman.

Stuntflyer

I just tried this and it does not work

^(_*{filename})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.(pp3)$(nks|jpg|jpeg|dng|psd|tif)$

thrinn

The RegExp you posted can not work: The dollar sign can not appear twice in it. Is this a copy-to-the-post error?
I think was Herman meant by "you need to separate..." is: Create two different buddy file rules, one for pp3 files, the other for "normal" buddies. It looks like you tried to put both expressions into one buddy rule.

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Stuntflyer

Not working yet. See screen shot

thrinn

I used the expression from your post and it works for me.
I created a file test.nef and a corresponding test.nef.pp3. Then I moved the NEF to another folder in IMatch. The buddy file test.nef.pp3 travelled with it, as expected.
Did you check it with expression tester in the file relations dialog?
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

herman

As Thorsten said, it should work.....

In addition to Thorsten's comment, did you refresh the relations after changing this one?
Select the files you are testing, then <f4>, R, Rebuild?
Enjoy!

Herman.

Stuntflyer

Yes, it is working however the test says "no match"

herman

For the test try the correct version name: test.nef.pp3
Enjoy!

Herman.

Stuntflyer

Stuntflyer

In RawTherapee my (filename.pp3) files are moving with the master nef files. When RT creates a (filename.nef.pp3) the file won't move with the current expression. Also, I did refresh the database relations using the default "keep manual".

Can I add to or modify the link expression seen below to do make the move happen?

Mario

I assume you have updated the version mask to include the \.nef.pp3 extension now?
Until you do that, IMatch cannot know.

As a side note: I find it always troubling when applications insist on creating file names with more than one dot.
Such file names are often problematic when you work on multiple platforms, Linux/UNIX-based open source software sometimes has problems with such file names, etc.
I wonder why RawTherapee does this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on October 05, 2020, 09:05:39 AM
I assume you have updated the version mask to include the \.nef.pp3 extension now?

As a side note: I find it always troubling when applications insist on creating file names with more than one dot.
Such file names are often problematic when you work on multiple platforms, Linux/UNIX-based open source software sometimes has problems with such file names, etc.
I wonder why RawTherapee does this.
Maybe for the cases where you have the same base file name with different extensions and you want to save information about each of them. Like file.nef & file.nef.pp3 and file.dng & file.dng.pp3, etc. In case the application can treat different formats.

Mario

IMatch can handle files with multiple extensions, no sweat.
But there is really no guarantee across platform all tools (especially open source from the Linux world) that these files names are handled. Some Linux tools still have issues with non-ASCII file names...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stuntflyer

Quote from: Mario on October 05, 2020, 09:05:39 AM

Yes, I did the update

Mike

Stuntflyer

What happens when you have a sidecar file named 'filename.jpg.out.pp3'?

After refreshing the relations, I tried using the expression in the nef buddy file 'jpg\.pp3' among a few others without success. The sidecar stayed after deleting the file. Obviously the sidecar name 'filename.jpg.out.pp3' requires a different expression than the ones I tried.

Mike

Mario

Well, if the extension is .jpg.out.pp3 (which is kinda crazy, really) you have to tell IMatch to look for files with this name, right?

The regular expression matching this monstrosity would be \.jpg\.out\.pp3 I presume (not tested).
And people are wondering why IMatch is using freaky regular expressions...because this is the only way to deal with all these 'special cases' other software is coming up with.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stuntflyer

This works: |jpg\.out\.arp)$

I agree that there should be more consideration for third party software than there is.

Thanks again!

Mario

|jpg does not look right.

The .jpg is the extension, and since . has a special meaning in regular expressions, you always have to 'escape' it with a leading \ => \.jpg
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stuntflyer

It would probably be easier if you could look at the nef buddy expression I have. Do you see an error? With this expression the versions are copying, moving and deleting with the master. That includes thhe pp3 sidecar files.

^(_*{name})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.(jpg|dng|tif|psd|nef\.pp3|jpg\.out\.pp3)$

Mario

In that context it is correct. Because all extensions listed in the () already have the leading \.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

reyman

Hi there,
As a new user of both imatch and raw therapee i'm happy to found this subject.
That help me a lot.

But i'm trying to modify the regex for .out.jpeg.pp3 file and that don't work ...

The current situation after modifying a dng into RT :

test.dng
test.jpg
test.dng.pp3
test.jpg.out.pp3

Regex for DNG to pp3 :
Master  : \.(dng)$
Replacement : /^_*//
Link : ^(_*{filename})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.(pp3)$

test.dng to test.dng.pp3 is ok

So, i try to modify the link regex to manage this horrible test.jpg.out.pp3 by changing :
Link : ^(_*{name|filename})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.(pp3|jpg\.out\.pp3)$

Without success

Versionning for DNG/CR2 :
Master  : \.(cr2|cr3|crw|dng)$
Replacement : /^_*//
Link : ^(_*{name})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.(jpg|jpeg|psd|tif|tiff)$

Thanks for your help on this ...

Mario

If RT really produces files with the extension .jpg.out.pp3 (Why...?)

Link : ^(_*{name})[+\-_]*[0-9|a-z]*\.(jpg|jpeg|psd|tif|tiff|jpg\.out\.pp3)$

The important bit here is

\.(jpg|jpeg|psd|tif|tiff)

which means any of .jpg or .jpeg or .psd or .tif or .tiff.

Since your software produces files with 3 (!) file extensions, you need to add jpg\.out\.pp3 to the list. The jpg does NOT need a dot, it inherits it from the \.(). The other two extensions do.
This produces a match for files with the extension .jpg.out.pp3.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

reyman

Thanks !

I found info on the RT wiki :

Where the processing profile is stored can be configured in Preferences > Processing Profile Handling.

By default, the processing profile for an image is stored alongside the input image (if you open kitty.raw, a new file kitty.raw.pp3 will be created next to it), but they can also be stored in a central cache. You can choose whether RawTherapee should use the cache, write the processing profile alongside the image, or both, from "Preferences > Image Processing". We suggest you store these files alongside your input image files so that if you decide to move the images you can move the processing profiles easily along with them.

When saving an image you have the option of ticking the "Save processing parameters with image" checkbox. If it is ticked, and if you are working on kitty.raw and saving to a JPG file, then the processing profile used to develop that image will be stored in a file called kitty.jpg.out.pp3. The ".out" part if there so that conflicts do not occur if you are working on a non-raw file.

Mario

Yeah, well...other software just uses the XMP record, with a custom namespace (e.g. Lightroom) to contain settings and processing instructions. This makes things so much easier, compatible and standardized.
Anyway, IMatch can handle this - I doubt many other software out there can  ;D
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator