Moving SSD with IMATCH DB in it

Started by Josebr, November 20, 2021, 07:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josebr

I received the cable for my SSD,  which will allow me to put the SSD inside my computer and not on the HD dock it currently sit in. I only have my IMATCH database on that drive (not the photos). Anything I need to know in doing this?

I will be shutting down my computer, install the SSD internally, start my computer, wait 10 minutes for my computer to finish all that it does on startup. Then I will start IMATCH and am not sure what to expect. It won't see the K: Drive anymore, unless windows calls it K (which come to think of I can do if windows does not name it K).

frankdarwin

It does not matter on which drive you have saved the DB. If the drive letter has changed, open IMATCH and then open the database from the new path.
If you want to keep the drive letter "K", you can change it under Windows after the SSD conversion.

Josebr

frankdarwin

Quote from: Josebr on November 20, 2021, 07:09:30 PM
I will be shutting down my computer, install the SSD internally, start my computer, wait 10 minutes for my computer to finish all that it does on startup. Then I will start IMATCH and am not sure what to expect. It won't see the K: Drive anymore, unless windows calls it K (which come to think of I can do if windows does not name it K).

Why does it take 10 minutes for your Windows to finish booting? What does Windows do during this time?

Mario

Typical startup times of Windows 10 from a SSD are about 10 to 20 seconds (Power on to Login screen).
If this takes longer on your system, check the Windows event log for problem reports (drivers, background services etc.).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Josebr

Windows is still on my regular hard drive. I really can't do anything with it for around 10 minutes after it boots up. There are programs running in the background like "antimalware service execution" which hog up the memory and use the hard disk. After 10 minutes the background tasks are done and I can start using my computer. Believe me, I have most programs on the 'startup' tab disabled.

What I wish to do is add an SSD internally as another internal drive. Right now that same SSD is being used externally on an HHD/SSD dock. I am not trying to move Windows to an SSD. Windows can remain on my regular hard drive for now. This is my first try at using an SSD. I wish to be more comfortable with them (trust them) before ever putting Windows on them.

Update: The cable sent to me was the wrong cable. So I have to put off moving the external SSD inside my computer for now.

Mario

Moving Windows to the SSD really would result in a massive improvement. Spinning disks vs. SSD is different worlds.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on November 21, 2021, 04:20:07 PM
Moving Windows to the SSD really would result in a massive improvement. Spinning disks vs. SSD is different worlds.

I can only repeat what Mario said, based on my own experience. Moving years ago from a hard drive to SSD for Windows boot disk was transformative.
John

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Josebr on November 21, 2021, 03:15:52 PM...This is my first try at using an SSD. I wish to be more comfortable with them (trust them) before ever putting Windows on them.
SSDs are MUCH more reliable than HDDs ...

StanRohrer

I have a laptop (i5 Gen 4 CPU, from 2013) that was getting very old and slow to boot Windows. It was one of those to press the power button and go get breakfast while it booted up. I was ready to send it to the trash. On a whim, about 3 years ago, I did the update from hard drive to SSD. Once a week I now take that laptop to a group breakfast at a restaurant, boot Windows, connect to WiFi, start Zoom, and connect to attendees that cannot be there in person. The startup takes much less time than typing the message here. I can do a cold start in the restaurant and be operational in maybe 2-4 minutes (almost as fast as I can type and do all the human driven activities). I had expected modest speed gains with the update but was flabbergasted at the SSD result. The laptop now has quite a few years of Email and wife's recipe web sites still in it's future.

I trust the SSD to be more reliable than a HDD. Especially in a laptop with mechanical bumps and bangs not bouncing around mechanical heads and physical rotating disks.

In my desktop and photo computer, I just did motherboard and CPU upgrades, and jumped from SATA SSD to NVME SSD. This update was another speed gain when working with files and disk access - but maybe only a 2x to 4x speed improvement on file based operations. But SATA to NVME SSD is still a stepwise increment.