Splitting folders in the database

Started by mopperle, November 24, 2021, 10:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopperle

Due to historical reasons I have several folders in the database which contain files from several years.
The folders are named yyyy.mm-yyyy.mm. Example: 1976.05-1979.09, 1979.10-1981.03 and so on. That means that a folder contains files of several years and a year could also be spread over several folders.
Now I want to consolidate this so that I have a folder for each year.
I know that I can move the complete content to a new location/folder and then use the "relocate" function. But is there a similar way when I move files out of one folder into e.g. 2 new folders?
There is a function "relocate file", but this works only with a single file.

Mario

This is very easy to do.

1. Create new folder in IMatch.
2. Select the files you want to move into this folder in a File Window, e.g. use a Date Filter or search for the year in the search bar (make sure you have enabled the search for file names).

3a. Keyboard:

Press <Ctrl>+<X>.
Switch to the new folder.
Press <Ctrl>+<V>.

3b. Mouse:
After selecting the files, drag them to the new folder.

Learn more: File Management in IMatch

Relocate is only used when you have moved or renamed files outside of IMatch. Learn more: Off-line Folders and Files

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mopperle

Sorry for being dumb, I have read the section "Filemanagement..." but it talks only about copy, move, rename delete.
"Create new folder" only works to create a subfolder in a existing folder, but not e.g. in the root folder.
But would it work to create such a folder outside IMatch, then add it to the database and then move the files via your step 3?

mopperle

Mario

IMatch only knows about the folders in your database, it does not know about anything else in the outside world.
You can add one or even multiple sub-folders with hierarchies in one go (!) under each folder managed by IMatch, via the "New..." commands available in the folder context menus.

In most workflows, you have one main folder (per device), something like c:\images. And this is the folder you manage in IMatch. You usually don't add other top level folders like c:\pictures later.
If you suddenly see a need to add more folders above the folders you already manage in IMatch, make sure that nothing is wrong.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook