GPSMeasureMode Tag Being Dropped

Started by zuiko, December 12, 2021, 06:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zuiko

Is there any reason why the GPSMeasureMode tag is being dropped from the file's metadata?  I tried explicitly importing it with a metadata template into the XMP data, and it shows up as a tag that's queued to be written, but it doesn't get written back to the file, it gets removed.  I also noticed that the metadata editor is missing that tag.

Mario

Does ExifTool show any warning or error in the Output Panel after write-back?

1. Provide the sample image you have used.
2. Show us what your Metadata Template does and which values you set for the tag.

I have created a data-driven category based on the tag GPS::Main\10\GPSMeasureMode\0 in test database.
This produces the two values: 2-Dimensional Measurement and 3-Dimensional Measurement.

These are the formatted values you must set in your Metadata Template. Did you do that?
Metadata Templates don't support writing raw data, only the formatted values.

When I've added the XMP tag to a Metadata Panel layout, I can select from these two values.
When I then write back, the data is written without problems, and the file shows up in the corresponding data-driven category.

What I find puzzling is that the corresponding XMP tag is empty.
It appears that the default GPS2XMP argument file included in ExifTool does not map this tag.
No idea, really. I have never heard about this tag before and IMatch does not use it for anything.

QuoteI also noticed that the metadata editor is missing that tag.

The Metadata Panel ships with a range of layouts, suitable for a wide range of purposes.
The idea was not to add any possible tag or rarely useful tags like GPSMeasureMode.

You can always see all tags IMatch has imported by switching to the Browser Layout.
If you want to see additional tags in one of the predefined layouts or create your own Metadata Panel layout, this is easy to do.
The Metadata Panel in IMatch is very flexible. See Custom Panels in the IMatch Help system for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

zuiko

It could be how exiftool is handling the tag, I don't know why it's not importing it since the rules in exif2xmp.args should have imported it.  My template sets XMP::exif\GPSMeasureMode\0 from {File.MD.GPS::Main\10\GPSMeasureMode\0} and after I run it I do see the tag in the metadata browser (in XMP-exif and EXIF-gps) but when I commit the changes to the file it disappears.

I'm not sure what the GPSMeasureMode tag does, I'm just trying to make sure that metadata isn't dropped when IMatch manipulates it.  I'm comparing a before and after version of the data using exiftool and this seems to be the only EXIF entry that gets lost.

Here's a sample image that has the problem

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1x0EO7W9q8cABT4Ba2zMNOTdaYX90fmo8

Mario

When IMatch (or I on the command line) try to set the XMP GPS measure mode with

-XMP-exif:GPSMeasureMode="2-Dimensional Measurement"

ExifTool returns Warning: Can't convert XMP-exif:GPSMeasureMode (not in PrintConv)

This usually means that the "text" used in the command is unknown to ExifTool.

I can, however, set the GPS tag successfully with

-GPS:GPSMeasureMode="2-Dimensional Measurement"

so there seems to be something strange going on. I have posted a question in the ExifTool forum so lets give this a few days.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

The riddle has been solved.
This is a glitch in ExifTool. The text values for the GPS and XMP tag differ.

For the GPS tab the names: "2-Dimensional Measurement" and "3-Dimensional Measurement" are used.
For the XMP tag, the names are "2-Dimensional" and "3-Dimensional" are used.

Which causes the PrintConv to fail when the GPS names are copied into the XMP names (like you do with your Metadata Template).
When you set the tag in the Metadata Panel from the drop-down list, everything works.

Phil Harvey from ExifTool is aware of this issue and he should fix this in a future ExifTool version.
This should also solve the missing mapping during import from GPS to XMP for the GPSMeasureMode tag.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

zuiko

That's great news!  Thanks for looking into it, hopefully it'll get fixed soon in exiftool.