Is it feasible for the Viewer to focus files in the FileWindow during use?

Started by Tveloso, December 30, 2021, 03:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tveloso

When using the Viewer to do Face Annotation work, I sometimes run across a file for which I want to add a particular Keyword (that I'm worried I might forget about adding when I'm in the "keywording phase" of my workflow).  For this, I keep the Category Panel open in the Viewer, and occasionally use it to assign the Keyword. 

But if the Keyword I'm interested in adding is a unique one, that I have not assigned before (and that may not even be in the Thesaurus yet), that of course is not available in the @Keywords Category, so I cannot assign it via the Category Panel in the Viewer.

It would be handy if while navigating files in the Viewer, the Files were continually focused in the FileWindow (which would allow the Keyword and Metadata Panels to be available for the current file in the viewer).  Would it be feasible for the Viewer to do that?...(instead of just on exit)?

We have the QuickView Panel, which is really intended for this, but now that we use the Viewer more for Face work, it might be good for it to continually focus files as well...
--Tony

Mario

Use the Goto Folder command in the Viewer. Context menu or Ctrl+G.
This focuses the current file in the File Window and you can switch with Alt+Tab and edit the metadata.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Tveloso

--Tony

Damit

I too was wondering about this.  My search found this thread. I was wondering if there is an option to just have the file window and henceforth the keywords follow that which is in the Viewer, like the quick view presently works.  Being able to seamlessly input face annotations and keywords at the same time without having to double click on each picture in the file window or having to hit CTRL+G, would be great!

I often find that sometimes I edit the keywords based on the viewer only to find that I am changing them for the picture selected in the file window. User error, I know, but having the option described above would help avoid such errors. If this option does not exist, I will put in a feature request.

Mario

Use the Quick Preview instead for your use case.
You can undock it, make it as large as you want, move it to a second monitor. It does exactly what you want.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Damit

Thanks for the suggestion, but AFAIK, you insert face annotations using the Quick View. I would like to edit multiple metadata (Keywords and face annotations) at the same time.

Mario

The Viewer Viewer keyboard combination <Ctrl>+<G> selects the file currently visible in the Viewer in the Media & Folders View. The Viewer does not close.

If you don't run the Viewer in full-screen mode but on a second monitor, in workspace mode or as a separate window, this allows you to work in both the File Window and the Viewer at the same time. Which is what you want to do, when I understand you correctly.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Damit

I have the Viewer docked as a panel under my keywords panel. I believe this configuration should work as you stated, but unfortunately it does not.  In order to get the same file I am viewing in the Viewer to be selected in Media & Folders view, I have to use the CTRL+G keyboard shortcut.  If I advance to the next file in the viewer, the file selected in the Media & Folders view does not change; it remains on the last selected file.  Likewise, if I advance to the next file in the Media & Folders view, the photo shown in the viewer does not change, it remains on the last selected photo.

What I want is for their to be synchronicity between the file chosen in the Media & Folders view and the Viewer.  If I advance in one, the other auto advances, so the same file is chosen in both. This is the way it works with Quick View. I could use the Quick View, but it does not allow face annotations.

Mario

This is how it is supposed to work.
The Viewer does not move the focused file in whatever File Window is currently active unless you press Ctrl+G. This behavior is by design.

Use the Quick View Panel for for your workflow.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator