Files remain after Ctr-X and Ctr-V

Started by frankdarwin, January 05, 2022, 12:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

I moved files from one folder to another using Ctr-x and Ctr-v.
Now I noticed that all files in the old folder were renamed to *.jpg_original. So they still exist, but are no longer in the database.
Is this correct? Do I need to delete these files manually?

Mario

This has nothing do to with IMatch.
This is how ExifTool renames the original files when you run it without using the -overwrite_original option. IMatch always uses that option.

Did you perhaps work with ExifTool or the ExifTool Command Processor and thus created these files?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

As I said at the beginning, I used Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V to move the files to the other folder via the clipboard.

IM Help says:

Ctrl+ X   Cuts the selected files or folder into the Windows clipboard. No objects are actually moved unless you insert the clipboard contents in IMatch.
Ctrl+ V   If you have cut/copied files: Inserts the files into the current folder or file window. If this was a move operation, the files are removed from their original folder.

According to this, the files in the old folder should be deleted.

I did not use the ExifTool.

thrinn

Quote from: frankdarwin on January 05, 2022, 01:51:44 PM
As I said at the beginning, I used Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V to move the files to the other folder via the clipboard.
[...]
According to this, the files in the old folder should be deleted.
They (that is: the *.jpg files) were deleted. Otherwise you would find the *.jpg files in the source folder. But you did not cut the .jpg_original files (because they do not show up IMatch, having a different extension that is not indexed). .jpg_original files are temporary files created by Exiftool under certain circumstances, as Mario explained. So it is possible that you used Exiftool somewhere in the past and these files were leftovers from then. As I said, they are not indexed by IMatch and, therefore, do not show up in IMatch. You would only see them outside of IMatch (Windows Explorer).
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA