Search for files with more than 1 version

Started by frankdarwin, January 11, 2022, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

Hello,
is there a way to search for master files for which there is more than 1 version?

Mario

What do you want to achieve? Why do you need this?

If you really need this, the variable {File.Versions} returns all versions of a master file. You can use that for a data-driven category, combined with the count variable formatting function.
See File.Versions and count:boolean
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

Quote from: Mario on January 11, 2022, 07:57:22 PM
What do you want to achieve? Why do you need this?

Because I have made mistakes in the past when creating File Relation rules, I have an undetermined number of version stacks that definitely have incorrect version files.
If I see in the thump nail of a master that this stack contains 2 versions I can be sure that this is ok.
Any number greater than 2 indicates that this stack is possibly wrong.
So I don't have to check all stacks manually, I want to select all stacks this way to check them.

Quote from: Mario on January 11, 2022, 07:57:22 PM
If you really need this, the variable {File.Versions} returns all versions of a master file. You can use that for a data-driven category, combined with the count variable formatting function.
See File.Versions and count:boolean

I will give this a try.
Thank you.

Mario

Why not correct your rules and then refresh all relations (from your top-level folders)?
This will add/remove versions based on your current rules.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

Quote from: Mario on January 11, 2022, 09:19:42 PM
Why not correct your rules and then refresh all relations (from your top-level folders)?
This will add/remove versions based on your current rules.

I'm not sure if the versions to a .NEF file are just .JPG files or not. It could be that there are still images in other formats as valid versions. Also the file name could be different. What a possible mess:-)

I have experimented with my images a lot in the past that may have created a mess. This is also the reason why I finally decided to use IMatch as my DAM software. I finally want to have a "home"!

For example, if I use the following definitions for the file relationships, there is still the uncertainty in the file name (this does not have to be the same for all versions).

Master Expression:   \.(nef|nrw|nrf)$
Link Expression: ^{name}\.(jpg|jpeg|tif|tiff)$

If I can select all stacks with more than 2 versions, it would save me a lot of manual work.

Yes. If I had worked more neatly in the past, I would have more time today for the finer things in this world. But I vow to do better!

Mario

You make all files with the same name as the master file a version.
If you don't want this, change your version rule to be more precise.

If you have created files which have the same name as the master and live in the folder(s) your version rule searches, you will have to make your version rule more specific, e.g. by not including certain file extensions.

QuoteI'm not sure if the versions to a .NEF file are just .JPG files or not. It could be that there are still images in other formats as valid versions. Also the file name could be different. What a possible mess:-)

Yes. You would need to provide more details so we can possibly help. But some sort of good naming convention, or moving files out of the folders your version rule looks at is sometimes the best solution.
IMatch offers a lot of freedom in this area.

You still did not explain what you consider a version or not. What your folder layout and file naming schema looks like. This makes it impossible to provide tips.
This is all about details, your file names, where your master files and versions are stored. We cannot guess that.

Note that Master->version relations are never permanent.
If you change/fix your version rules and you refresh the relations, all "wrong" versions will go away automatically.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator