3.6 and 5 Beta parallel installed

Started by Gerd, June 28, 2013, 12:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerd

Dear Mario,

is it possible to install  3.6 and 5 Beta parallel, only install, not to run!

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

Ferdinand

Yes, provided that you have 3.6.0.118 installed, as this will mean that 3.6 and 5ß use the same version of the scripting engine.

F.

Mario

Please see also the IMatch Beta Announcement which not only covers this question, but several other important questions as well.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

claudermilk

For the most part 3.6.118 and 5.xx live together happily. As usual, be sure to test IM5 on a separate, disposable set of images so if anything blows up you can easily regenerate the files being used for testing.

Scripting can be a little tricky. I know my 3.6 scripting is slightly broken now, but I am hoping the beta advances to the point of being usable on production images before I have to really figure out what DLL got whacked--I probably just need to reinstall IM3.

Ferdinand

Quote from: claudermilk on June 28, 2013, 10:54:01 PMScripting can be a little tricky. I know my 3.6 scripting is slightly broken now, but I am hoping the beta advances to the point of being usable on production images before I have to really figure out what DLL got whacked--I probably just need to reinstall IM3.

I had a problem like this that required a reinstall of V3.6.  It turned out that there was a common ID in a scripting method in the two versions that shouldn't have been common.  That's been fixed.  There may well be another. If you post details then it can be found.

F.

claudermilk

I'll have to revisit once I get on the imaging machine. From memory, it's the ever-useful Failed to create ActiveX object error & hits when creating a database variable (IIRC) early on in the Manage Versions 1.12 script. Time has been tight for working in IMatch at all lately--I can barely keep up with IM5 beta installs right now, and sneak in visits here so I don't get TOO far behind. I am suspecting a reinstall of IM3.6 will be needed.

NeilR

I made a mistake and installed IM5 with IM3.6.0.114 (I thought I was current but was not).

I then installed 3.6.0.118.

I have not run any scripts in either version, nor any scans of IM3.

Anything to worry about?  If there is, how to I set things right?

reader

Quote from: NeilR on July 07, 2013, 04:28:09 PM
I made a mistake and installed IM5 with IM3.6.0.114 (I thought I was current but was not).

[. . .]

You probably did what I did... attempted to update 5.6.0.114 from the 'Help/Update' menu.  I learned later that the update routine was broken in ....114.  I nearly did just as you did but noticed Marios reminder in time.

Mario

3.6.0.118 and 5.x work together well. Any problems?

The only shared component between 3 and 5 is the scripting engine - which is the reason why you need the .118 because it ships with the scripting engine that is compatible with the scripting engine used by IMatch 5.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

NeilR

Thanks Mario.  I wasn't sure if having 114 installed prior to installing iMatch 5 might cause some sort of nasty installation issue.  But if upgrading to 118 solves any conflicts then I should be fine. 

I haven't used either enough, since installing iMatch 5, to know if I have a problem  ;D