Metadata Location

Started by Belenos2017, January 25, 2022, 11:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belenos2017

My position for taking a picture is near a river wich is a boarder - I stand in Location A / City A / Province A / Country A. But I take the picture of the other side of the River with Location B /City B / Province B /Country B.

GPS - metadata is alway A, but I am confused about "Metadata Location": A or B ?

jch2103

You probably want to use Destination Coordinates ('Location Shown'): https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#panel_geo.htm?dl=h-9
As the Help explains, you can use the Map panel to record Destination Coordinates. Very useful in some situations.

John

Mario

I agree. This is why there are two coordinate pairs and IMatch supports them both (not many applications do).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

iMatch's support for Destination Co-ordinates is exactly for this type of situation.   It allows you to add GPS for B - then you have the two GPS co-ordinates and you can reverse geo-code them so you get metadata location tags for both A & B (tags are labelled as 'Location Created ...' and 'Location Shown ...')

The metadata standards - which iMatch fully supports - for locations can be a little confusing as there are many tags.  I have spent a fair bit of time understanding them all and how they relate to each other - feel free to send questions.

Michael

Belenos2017

Thank you very much for your advice. I then searched through all the panels and found an infinite number of different metadata. My great admiration for Mario, how you can still keep track of this, how wonderfully IMATCH masters this abundance. Super ! THANK YOU !

Some metadata seems to have been pieced together over the years, which probably explains the difference between IPTC Core and IPTC extension.

My problem is solved when I use XMP IPTC extension/location shown city (and the others).

QUESTION 1 - In the Location City panel, what does the formula : " composite/ location " mean ?

QUESTION 2 - What does " XMP IPTC core/iso country code " mean ? location country code created or location country code shown?

QUESTION 3 - What is your workflow ? Always fill in both locations ( location created and location shown) ? Is that too much work, too much Info? Or does it depend on whether the customer can display and read and understand it at all ?

I hope you can understand my bad translation  :)

Mario

QuoteMy great admiration for Mario, how you can still keep track of this, how wonderfully IMATCH masters this abundance.

I really don't. Like most people, I only use common tags like headline, title, description, rating, label, GPS coordinates. Basically what you see in the Metadata Panel in the Default layout.
Most of XMP IPTC and IPTCExt are designed for agency, news service or corporate use, and are not relevant for normal people.

That said, IMatch users use maybe 30-50% of the software. But each user uses different 30-50%  ;D
Metadata tags or technical data about an image may be irrelevant for one user, but most important for others. So, IMatch gives you the flexibility to use whatever you want or need to use.

Composite tags are tags which ExifTool fills from different sources, depending on the file format.
I have found that this tag is the best default for City.

ISO Country Code: US, DE, ES etc.

I recommend not to fill these tags by hand.

Use the Map Panel to add missing GPS coordinates (if your camera / phone has not added GPS coordinates).
Enable Reverse Geocoding so IMatch automatically fills location data like country, country code, city and location based on the GPS coordinates.

If you don't want this or you have only a manageable number of locations for your files, consider setting up IMatch Locations for these locations.
This way you can assign GPS coordinates and location data with a few mouse clicks or a keyboard shortcut (Commands > File > Apply Locations).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

QuoteQUESTION 3 - What is your workflow ? Always fill in both locations ( location created and location shown) ? Is that too much work, too much Info? Or does it depend on whether the customer can display and read and understand it at all ?

Just speaking for myself, I don't use destination coordinates very often, but I find them very useful for some situations.
John

PandDLong

Quote from: Belenos2017 on January 31, 2022, 03:15:26 PM

QUESTION 2 - What does " XMP IPTC core/iso country code " mean ? location country code created or location country code shown?

QUESTION 3 - What is your workflow ? Always fill in both locations ( location created and location shown) ? Is that too much work, too much Info? Or does it depend on whether the customer can display and read and understand it at all ?

Question 2: The "XMP IPTC core/ISO Country Code" is intended for the Location Shown.  I have found this true for the location-type tags in IPTC Core (countrycode and location) and Photoshop (Country, State, and City).  I believe this is because historically the "where" information was focused on what was shown in the photograph.  It was the IPTC Extension that created the concept of both Created and Shown and allowed both sets of information to be saved - but this "dual location" concept seems to be unique to the IPTC Extension tags.

Question 3: I do fill in both locations - and my photos are personal/family (no customers).  I rarely (1 in 25 maybe) use the Destination GPS feature but typically just run a metadata template to copy Location Shown to Created.  I thought this would be better so every photo uses the tags the same way.  I will have the tags differ sometimes - even without destination GPS - eg. to represent whether the photo was taken inside a landmark/building or from outside.    I know most people do NOT do both and perhaps I will discover that I have wasted my time and it isn't very useful....

Michael