2021 Dashboard - Recently Added files

Started by JLGF1, February 09, 2022, 10:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLGF1

Unless I'm missing something non-obvious, none of my Dashboard Recently Added files are/were recently added.

See attached.  Most of those files presented by the Dashboard are years old.  If the date fields are/were somehow modified/touched, I'm not aware of how.

JLGF1

Ditto on Recently Updated.  I haven't worked on these pics for several years.  AFAIK, the system-wide backups should not be tickling the dates, but TBD.

Mario

These collections are not based on the date you put in the filename somewhere.
They use timestamps IMatch manages internally for each file, in the File History. Check the File history of these files to learn more.
Backing up data does not change these timestamps unless you maybe use a backup software which changes the recently modified timestamp on disk and thus causing IMatch to re-index the files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JLGF1

These collections are not based on the date you put in the filename somewhere.

Yes, I know that.  The circled date was a convenient way to show the very close approximate date of the file.  I can show you the actual file timestamps of the file(s) if you like.

What I am saying is that, I happen to know, that NONE of the files in the list have been:

Recently Accessed  or Recently Added

by manual user actions.

ie the example dates to files that haven't been actively processed since 2017

So, am I missing something or does this mean that these lists are not accurate??  (why, is TBD).

Perhaps I need to dig into the date-stamps further.  Otherwise, I have to assume this is not working as designed for reasons TBD.

Mario

QuoteI can show you the actual file timestamps of the file(s) if you like.

Did you follow my advice and looked at the file history maintained by IMatch? The History Panel
What does it show? The history is the source IMatch builds these collections from.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JLGF1

I forced the recently upgraded IMatch 2021 to rescan as many new folders had not been processed (I had not run v2020 in a while).

According to the Dashboard, the Recent lists are now updated and appear to be somewhat reasonable; I will review them further.

The old files in the list (circa 2017) were flushed out.

JLGF1

Quote from: Mario on February 10, 2022, 08:55:03 AM
They use timestamps IMatch manages internally for each file

So, should I expect that recent files from 2022-01-06, that IMatch knows about, appear in the Dashboard Recent lists?

Because judging by the info attached....they don't appear to??   (for non-obvious reasons TBD).

Many of the files in my Recent list are much older.  Yet, they appear, but the 2022-01-06 files don't??

Mario

The "recently" lists in the Dashboard are scrollable (arrow buttons). Did you scroll through the entire list?
You control the layout via the options of this panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JLGF1

Quote from: Mario on February 14, 2022, 03:11:03 PM
Did you scroll through the entire list?

Nope (they are there, but not visible (scrolled off).

I (apparently wrongly) assumed that the date order would be:  newest -> oldest | some-threshold

It looks like that is not the case.  That significantly dilutes the utility of this new feature (for me).

Is there some non-obvious reason that the sort order is not newest to oldest?  I looked, but I don't see an obvious setting to reconfigure it.

Mario

Sort order of the endpoint should be by timestamp in descending order.
File a bug report in the bug report board and upload a copy of your database to your cloud space and send me a link.
I can then check if the results are correct.

I've just looked at the dashboard in my standard database. All the files I've added today appear in front off the list (newest to oldest), so this works as it should here.
Same for the recently updated and viewed files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JLGF1

In my case, it seems like IM Dashboard:Recent is ack'ing new files created after the 2021 upgrade, but not sorting the most recent files before the 2021 upgrade in terms of the descending date order.  The most recent files (created prior to upgrading) don't appear until scrolling to page-5.

I will create a ticket and upload the DB to see if that sheds any light.

Mario

If this is only something that affects one user, chances are low that even if I spent several days with this will do any good. And that would be very expensive.
The history works that way since IMatch 5, it feeds the collections and for a about six months or so the dashboard. I don't recall any related bug reports ever.
Expect me to assign this a rather low priority.

Maybe just force an update of the affected files. This will give you a result right now.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JLGF1

Quote from: Mario on February 15, 2022, 09:59:55 PM
The history works that way since IMatch 5, it feeds the collections and for a about six months or so the dashboard. I don't recall any related bug reports ever.

So, are you saying that having the most recent files, prior to upgrading, requiring scrolling five pages (to page-5) to see them...instead of being at the head of the list where they belong...that is not worth your time?  The fact that no one else has reported any issue with this seems to me to be irrelevant. 

So far, that is the only "new" 2021 feature I have even noticed after upgrading...and it doesn't work properly (regardless of code from IMatch-5 whatever).

So, in terms of the 2021 upgrade, color me very underwhelmed thus far.  Reporting features that don't work correctly seems to be a waste of time.

PS Tried to send link to DB via PM, but response was blocked.

Mario

QuotePS Tried to send link to DB via PM, but response was blocked.

This might happen. My post stats currently show 30630 posts, (9.605 per day), so you can imagine my account is busy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator