Automatic DB backup vs "suggested" during upgrades

Started by JLGF1, February 09, 2022, 08:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLGF1

In various appropriate scenarios,  IMatch backs up the DB (after asking).

The 2021 upgrade dialog "suggests" updating the DB because you will not be able to roll-back after the DB is format converted.

Wouldn't it be more helpful if that dialog gave the user the option to backup?  Or just did the backup as a matter of course?

One can stop in the middle of the upgrade process and track down the path to the DB (I had forgotten) and make a backup copy manually, of course.  Not doing so is a bit disconcerting if one is prone to being cautious with SW upgrades.

Is there any good reason why IMatch doesn't just make a backup copy as SOP during the upgrade process?  It would seem to be the safe/secure thing to do, but maybe that's just me.

Mario

Always backup your database at least daily. Like all your other important data.
Windows installer has no functions to backup data.

IMatch only offers backups (via Pack & Go) since I've learned that many folks never do any backup at all!
So making Pack & Go run once in a while is at least some form of backup.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JLGF1

I'm not referring to whole system backups.

I had just run IMatch 2020 before I upgraded. If I'm not mistaken, IMatch routinely prompts for Pack & Go to do a DB backup...from an IMatch dialog.

I have many applications that do auto-backups of critical files during an important upgrade.  If IMatch is not one of them, then never mind.

Mario

Windows Installer has no features to backup IMatch databases.
Since IMatch is installed via Windows installer and I did not want to go the route to implement my own installer to add this feature, you will have to follow my advice to backup your important data yourself.
Not only before you install an IMatch update, but every day.

None of the installers I have ever used has installed graphic files, databases or whatever.
Installing an update for MariaDB/SQLServer/ORACLE always starts with the recommendation to first backup your database. These popular installers from big companies don't do it!
Adobe products don't backup my image files before installing updates. Or settings, presets, brushes, whatnot.
Which products are you referring to which backup all the important data directly from the installer?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook