Metadata Panels - Tag Filters - I am challenged...

Started by PandDLong, February 13, 2022, 07:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PandDLong

... to get them to work reliably. 

Sometimes I set them up and all is good and it shows/hides as expected.

Other times, it seems that a filter puts the tag on a permanent hide and I end up just deleting the filter and showing the tag all the time - which isn't the right answer but is a work-around.

I have created this simple panel with 2 tags to show my problem.  The second tag is filtered based upon the the content of the first.  That second tag never shows up.  The current example uses 'Is' and the literal text to match, but I've tried "Starts With' and a dot and a myriad of other things and it just never seems to work.

What am I missing?

Michael

Mario

Where do these CUSTOM tags come from? Which values do they contain when a) the filter works and b) the filter does not work?

Does this affect only these CUSTOM tags or also other tags, like label or rating or headline?

I think I have not changed anything in this code since IMatch 5 and I don't recall problem reports ever.
Probably nobody uses it, or it works in general...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I've made a few test and it seems to work here.
I made a layout which hides Copyright / Copyright URL when the author tag is not my name tag.
This works, with either hiding ("is") or not hiding ("is not") etc.

Note that fields without value ignore the condition....this might be something I need to check when I have a free time slot.

Update: There was a glitch that hid empty fields (tag without value) when a filter was active for the field. Maybe this is what's causing the effect you see?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PandDLong

I think that's it.   The glitch you mention.

I went back and looked at this example and my past issues and that seems to be the pattern.  The field which I am trying to show/hide with a tag filter is often an empty field - the workflow situation is that I am meant to populate the tag if and only if some other tag's condition is true.  By definition then that tag with the filter is typically empty as I am trying to show it in order to populate it.   (Am I making sense?)

In the past I tried to find the pattern on why it worked for some filters and not others - I never saw that common link of the tag value being empty or not.

To answer your other questions - I do have the same issue outside of the PLUS XMP/Custom tags but it is explainable due to the glitch.

Now, I can stop driving myself crazy trying to figure it out...

Michael

Mario

Then the next version should make this work for you.
It's is very rarely used feature.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator