Events with manual sort order

Started by frankest, February 16, 2022, 07:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankest

Hi there, I'm just checking out IMATCH and couldn't solve the following task.
I want to collate a number of arbitrary images in an arbitrary sequence/sort order.
I would call this feature album or slide show.
In IMATCH I am able to add single images to a specific event.
However, as the name "event" indicates, images are sorted by timeline.
I didn't find any opportunity to arrange a number of single images into a manual sort order.
Did I miss something? Is there a workaround?

Mario

QuoteI want to collate a number of arbitrary images in an arbitrary sequence/sort order.
I would call this feature album or slide show.

You would typically do that via  one or more Categories you create for this purpose. Categories are a unique and very powerful concept in IMatch.
You can create any number of categories, a category can (virtually) contain any number of files, and files can be in any number of categories.
Categories are hierarchical, which means you can even create sub-albums, if you like.

An IMatch Event can be created from a folder / category / time-range or a manual selection of files. Events are all about time.

You can control the sort order of files in Sorting Files in File Windows (Folders, Categories, Events etc.) by selecting one of the predefined Sort Profiles from the File Window toolbar and by creating your own sort profile.

To manually change the order in which files appear in File Windows, switch to the Custom sort profile and use drag and drop to arrange the files in any order you want: Custom (Manual) Sort Orders

Tip: Manually arranging files is possible and easy. But it can become a burden over time, if you need to do this for many folders or categories.

Before you start, consider:

1. Is there a metadata tag / timestamp you can use instead (by setting up a sort profile which sorts by that tag)?
2. Maybe you can fill a metadata tag or setup an Attribute with a "value", and then use that in combination with a custom sort profile to sort your files?

IMatch's sort features are very powerful and can solve many sort problems you face in other applications and then can only deal with by manually sorting your files in these applications.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankest

Thank you for your assistance. Now, I managed well. The help system is clear, if one looks for the correct search phrase.