People annotations & versions

Started by Stefanjan, March 10, 2022, 04:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefanjan

Interested to understand how you deal with people annotations and versions.

I have been trying different methods and am wondering if the following is the best method.

Add people annotation to master
Do not propogate to version
Use link to persons functionality as this is easier and mostly I am not bothered if not assigned to a face. Also avoids issue when version is the display visual and version cropped.
(I have many images where the name annotations display in the wrong place in Quick View because I was assigning the names to faces)
Add keyword to Person profile so searching works on my synchronised laptop
Complete all annotations for a folder

What are your views on the above method?
How do your record that people assigned, (keywording done, image processed and final jpeg version created)
How do you keyword people? I am experimenting with something like this WHO|Family|Smith|John Smith

I have only been using the "Link to Persons" functionality in the last few days and find it really great!

Mario

Quote(I have many images where the name annotations display in the wrong place in Quick View because I was assigning the names to faces)

I doubt this has anything to do with assigning persons to faces.
I guess you make IMatch propagate the face regions to versions, but your versions have other dimensions / aspect ratio than the master. This cannot work.
Annotations and face regions use a positioning system which is independent from the size of the image, but this does obviously cannot work when you crop or rotate versions.

Links are just a crutch for real face annotations. IMatch just places them somewhere top/right, which makes this work in your case.
Links should just be kept for a short time, then they just by changed to real face annotations.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

Quoteauthor=Mario link=topic=12351.msg87651#msg87651 date=1646929522]

QuoteI guess you make IMatch propagate the face regions to versions, but your versions have other dimensions / aspect ratio than the master. This cannot work.
I understand that and I was not implying that it was a problem with imatch.

I am not propagating face regions to versions. I only have the face regions on the master.

The viewer displays the regions correctly on the master providing I have versions turned off (as you explained T,X in a separate post it is not possible to display versions in the Viewer at the same time as Annotations)

Quick View displays the version but can have annotations turned on. Which means Person links display logically top right but face annotations don't display correctly if the version has been cropped. I now understand this functionality and quite happy with it. Although it would be good if in similar way it was possible to display versions with annotations (even if in wrong place) in viewer.

QuoteLinks should just be kept for a short time, then they just by changed to real face annotations.
Why? Is there any reason why these shouldn't be permanent. Having a list of names top right corner in the order of the people in the photo works for me. I will mainly use face annotation for finding especially family photos via people or in a search. Not really bothered about having them on a face.
I really find the person links functionality so easy and fast to use wheras I have got into all sorts of trouble in the past using face annotations.

Mario

Versions and masters can have different face annotations. Or any other annotation (this is actually what annotations are for, to annotate things).
You can copy & paste annotations and then re-arrange them to match whatever changes you did to the dimensions and ratio of the version. IMatch cannot do that automatically.
Or you just let face recognition run, which automatically finds the faces in the version and places the annotation in the right spot.

Links are just dumb objects and IMatch cannot pull any further information from them, like face info or arrangement info.
They have solely been implemented as a way to quickly get people linked to files in some way, and then later move these annotations on the actual face so IMatch can determine the person, calculate the arrangement info and other features which may become important in later IMatch versions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

Quoteauthor=Mario link=topic=12351.msg87656#msg87656 date=1646933456]

My photography is purely amateur:
- Family and friends snaps. Where person links seems to work well for me.
- Landscapes, street photography, architecture, wild life etc. where names not needed.

Hoping for some feedback to my original post from users with similar very simple requirements to me.

QuoteVersions and masters can have different face annotations.
My workflow is to edit photo in another app using favourite apps. Then export from that app as a final jpeg with file name plus #f. I propagate some information but not annotations. Basically I then only work with stacked versions. Annotating versions would be extra work and I'm not sure what the benefit would be.

QuoteYou can copy & paste annotations and then re-arrange them to match whatever changes you did to the dimensions and ratio of the version.
Yes understand that and I have used that in the past.

QuoteOr you just let face recognition run, which automatically finds the faces in the version and places the annotation in the right spot.
I have run face recognition in the past and still have some unconfirmed faces to sort out but am tending now to do the annotation manually. Person links is especially easy because I can grab a whole folder and do the person links in one go.

QuoteLinks are just dumb objects and IMatch cannot pull any further information from them, like face info or arrangement info.
I suspect it can pull enough info for my simple search requirements.

Quoteother features which may become important in later IMatch versions.
I'll keep an open mind