I like IMatch more and more but.....there is only Windows version.

Started by RobiWan, March 14, 2022, 07:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobiWan

Hi,

I like IMatch more and more, even if some things I either don't use or don't seem so intuitive. But all that doesn't matter.
Since Apple introduced the new Apple Stutio, I'm thinking about switching back to Apple. And there is unfortunately the problem - no IMatch. A VM or similar is a bullshit . My assumption that there is neither a Mac nor Linux version planned/already in development is correct or is there a chance that IMatch will be seen on other than Windows systems?

Cheers Robert

Mario

I run IMatch in VMs all the time, for testing purposes, for installer tests etc. It runs just fine, unless you combine a slow host with a massive database.

Since Apple moved to their proprietary processor architecture, I don't know if there are still solutions which can run Windows software on Apple hardware.

I have never used Apple systems - except an iPod Nano back in the day. Which had to be replaced twice due to battery issues. Switched to a Phillips MP3 player which still works after 10 years... 8)

For me performance per buck is important, and that's why I run AMD-based workstations right now. Which cost, with 16 cores, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSDs, 4TB RAID disks and a higher end 8GB NVidia GPU about half as much as the entry-level Mac Studio  ;)  From a German dealer within 50KM of where I live - and where I can get spares and repairs when needed.
Note: This was the price before the recent chip crisis. It probably would cost a a few hundred € more now.

I have nothing against Apple, I just don't like their walled garden and the amount of control they have over developers who try to produce software for Mac or iPhone. And the initial costs for hardware etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

That question brings up one question that has been in my mind for a while:
Since all new Imatch additions are based on web technology it might be possible
to move all of Imatch to this technology. In that case it would (?) become platform independent.
Is my thinking right?

Mario

The app-based components of IMatch are platform-independent. Like the IMatch WebViewer, which is part of IMatch Anywhere.
With IMatch Anywhere, you can access your IMatch database from any device, but the IMatch Anywhere Server must run on Windows. Somewhere in your network. Or in the cloud.

Writing new major components in the form off apps interfacing with the IMatch Anywhere WebService running in IMatch makes my development process much faster and more flexible.
Apps can utilize all the power modern web browsers offer (these things are almost operating systems on their own now), and they run on any modern device and operating system.

With IMatch Anywhere I have basically separated the "IMatch engine" from the user interface. And apps I write for IMatch can also be used in a future version of the IMatch Anywhere WebViewer or even a unified product.

Porting the IMatch Engine itself so multiple platforms is quite a different adventure. It is very time-consuming, expensive and who knows if there is a market and how big the market is.

The way I see it, many things are move into the cloud. In the 90th we migrated from "host" computers with dumb terminals to PCs. Now we move things back to the host (cloud), and use smarter terminals in the form of smart phones, tablets, TVs etc. to do stuff. When I would design and implement a new version of the IMatch Engine, I would consider all that. Multi-platform, NAS, cloud...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

RobiWan

OK, I understand and can certainly understand the concerns.
For me, I'll just have to consider staying on Windows and then continue to fret about the poor implementation of Capture One on this platform, or just switch to Mac and look for an alternative to IMatch.

Cheers Robert

Mario

Can't you really run Intel software on the M1 Macs anymore? What a shame.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

RobiWan

Why would I want to have that? In my choice of software, except for IMatch, I have always made sure that the software is available in both Windows and Mac versions.
Mac software that is not yet ported to ARM runs on Apple's own emulator (Rosetta2).

What I think is not possible yet is to start a Windows Intel VM. I don't want that at all. A VM is good for many things, I also use both Hyper-V and KVM, but never on a workstation where you suddenly have to give up a lot of RAM, CPU and storage space just because a program for the OS is not available.

Cheers Robert

sinus

Quote from: RobiWan on March 15, 2022, 06:28:07 PM
OK, I understand and can certainly understand the concerns.
For me, I'll just have to consider staying on Windows and then continue to fret about the poor implementation of Capture One on this platform, or just switch to Mac and look for an alternative to IMatch.

Cheers Robert

Or replace Capture One, is also a possibility.  8) ... just to say it, not really a possibilty for you, I guess.
Although on the graphic-site (designer, photographer, videographer ...) I never bought Apple, though I had for a long time some troubles with exchange files from Windows to Apple.
Long ago.

But almost all companies here in Switzerland works with Apple, if they are on the "graphic" side.
But not because Apple is better, simply "Photographer? Ah, you must have Apple".
Stupid, but it is generally still like this.

But an interesting part was/is the coronavirus-effect: a lot of them had to do home-office.
Only. ... a lot had big trouble, because at home they work with windows.  ;D Why?
Because the wife wanted have that way, or some special software (specially banking) worked not with Apple, and simply, because mostly tools outside the apple-world was cheaper.

But the technical stuff in these companies hat troubles to work with these homeoffice-windows pc ... because they did not know them enough good or .... I do not now really.
The last time, since I saw such problems, hmm, maybe 20 years ago.
But this was for quite a lot of companies a problem.
Do not ask, why exactly, I do not know.

For me personally, Apple and the other world  8) ... they are almost equal good. Some are here better, the others there. Does not really matter for me.

Robert, I would lean back, and give you some time and then decide. Whatever you will decide, it can not be bad, I think.
And I am sure, you will decide a good solution for you.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

RobiWan

Quote from: sinus on March 15, 2022, 07:49:31 PM
Or replace Capture One, is also a possibility.  8)

Of course, this is also a possibility. And yes I'm thinking about it too, but I'm more comfortable with Capture One than Lightroom/ ACR.

Quote from: sinus on March 15, 2022, 07:49:31 PM
Robert, I would lean back, and give you some time and then decide. Whatever you will decide, it can not be bad, I think.
And I am sure, you will decide a good solution for you.

I certainly won't make a decision in the next 1-2 weeks. First of all - knock off all possibilities and weigh them up. So it was only question - maybe Mario has plans to extend IMatch to other OS than Windows.

For me personally, it doesn't matter which operating system I use. I get along with all of them perfectly. I also have no problems with the scripting languages. The only thing I care about is that the programs I need have to be there and run satisfactorily.

Cheers Robert

Jingo

In many years past - I ran IMatch in a VM on a MAC and - while not a perfect solution by far - it did work... do a search here and you'll find my setup.

I dropped C1 a few months ago for Dxo Photolab and couldn't be happier with the performance, tools and workflow.  Using Dxo DeepPrime with my olympus system has enabled me to shoot at MUCH higher ISO's without worry.  Highly recommend the product (though C1 is excellent as well).