Converting images

Started by mopperle, April 02, 2022, 03:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopperle

I want to convert several images from png to jpeg with the Image Batch processor.
There is no problem to copy the metadata to the new file, but what about the categories? Did I miss something?

Mario

You can let the Batch Processor copy metadata, but keep in mind that PNG files usually have no EXIF data.
EXIF data is created by cameras, smart phones or scanners, and these do not produce PNG files.
Copy only XMP data as needed.

Categories are stored in the database. They are not part of the image or metadata and thus cannot be copied by the Batch Processor.
The Batch Processor is usually used to produce images that are not indexed by IMatch - delivery, upload, emails etc.

Assuming that the PNG files you create with the Batch Processor are also indexed by your IMatch database, you can use file relations and category propagation.
@Keywords categories will "transfer" automatically if you let the  Batch Processor copy XMP data and the original file has keywords.
The @Keywords Category is special.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mopperle

Thx Mario, then I have to do add the categories manually. Fortunately most converted pictures have the same set of categories.
Working with file relations is not an option, as the png files get deleted after conversion.

thrinn

For such a task (a one-time conversion) I would set up a temporary file relation, propagating the categories you want. As soon as the generated JPGs have received the categories, you can delete the "master" PNG file, and also the file relation rule. This will not remove the category assignment from your JPG files, they will still have all categories.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Or keep the relation rule (deactivated) for the next time such a conversion is required.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook