Date Subject Created sometimes slow to update

Started by Stefanjan, April 28, 2022, 08:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefanjan

I'm scanning in a lot of old photos.

In imatch I change the date subject created and then use the renamer function to move the files to a dated folder.

Sometimes it takes a while for the date in the browse panel to change, other times it's immediate.

Is there something I can do to force the date change in the Core data panel to update the files in the browse panel?

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

I change the date subject created in the core data panel for files selected in the browser

Mario

Since you type in the new date, it should show immediately in the Metadata Panel.

When I select 1,000 files and then change the two XMP date and time tags in the Metadata Panel (I assume this is what you mean with browse panel?) to "Today and Noon", IMatch takes about one second to write the new date for 1,000 files. The panel updates after one second (as soon as the "wait cursor" vanishes).

The Metadata and all other panels always update when they receive messages from the IMatch engine about metadata changes.
And they update when you select a different file in the File Window.
Some updates may be delayed while the system is busy, to avoid unnecessary screen updates, but only a few seconds, tops.
Renaming files and moving them to a new folder will cause a lot of database activity, mane metadata updates, category updates etc.
But I could not see any delayed reaction of the Metadata Panel when using the Renamer.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

Quote from: Mario on April 29, 2022, 08:36:45 AM
Since you type in the new date, it should show immediately in the Metadata Panel.
It does show immediately in the metadata panel but it does not change in the Media & Folders panel (which I called browser).

After reading your comments, I've adopted the following workflow:

Scan images into a scan folder.
Select all the images in the media and folders panel (scans folder).
Change the Subject Created date in the Core data panel
Click back on an image in the media & Folders panel
Click another image (the date changes on all the images in the Media & Folders panel)
Reselect all the images
Run renamer to move the images to the correct dated folder

Above works but wasn't intuitive until I read your comments.

Mario

Let's establish some common terms.

The Media & Folders View has two parts: Left is the tree with the folders and then there is the File Window, which shows the files.
Some file Window layouts display the global IMatch File.DateTime, which is derived from metadata, depending on the file format. See How IMatch uses Date and Time Information

When you change metadata in the Metadata Panel and commit the change, the corresponding XMP timestamps change in the database and IMatch then also updates the global File.DateTime. The File Window reloads to reflect this change. A File Window reload might be delayed when the system is busy, but not for long (maybe a second or so).

When I select 1,000 files in a File Window and then change and commit the date subject created in the Metadata Panel, the File Window immediately updates and shows the new File.DateTime value (I used the Default File Window Layout).

Please provide detailed steps to reproduce the behavior you are describing. I cannot reproduce it and no other user ever reported something similar, as far as I recall.
Include as much info as possible, e.g. which File Window layout you use, if a search or filter operation is applied, if you use file relations and you change timestamps for master files etc.
Every detail matters.
When I can reproduce it, I can do something about it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stefanjan

Quote from: Mario on April 30, 2022, 11:55:42 AM
Please provide detailed steps to reproduce the behavior you are describing.
See attached screen shot.
Default view
Only filter "Hide rejected files"
Epson scanning software to scan Tifs into _Scans folder (no child relations at this stage)
Select images in File Window
Change date subject created in metadata panel then hit enter.

ADMIN: Removed images of identifiable persons. Please don't post images of persons in the community - for privacy and legal reasons.

Mario

Hitting <Enter> in the Metadata Panel only moves the active input into the next tag.
You commit your changes by pressing Ctrl+S or by clicking the green check mark button or by moving to another image in the File Window.
In your screen shot, the Metadata Panel shows that modifications were made, but not committed (commit button enabled in the toolbar).
See Save or Undo
Maybe this already explains your problem?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stefanjan

Quote from: Mario on April 30, 2022, 06:11:45 PM
You commit your changes by pressing Ctrl+S or by clicking the green check mark button or by moving to another image in the File Window.
Apologies, I should have known that! I do now. Thanks for your patience.

Mario

The Metadata Panel has been designed to be efficient and to enable the user to add metadata to many files quickly.
Features like <Enter> moving to the next input field are part of this concept. You add data, <Enter>, add data, <Enter>, ... and then finally commit your changes.

I recommend reading this section of the Metadata Panel help: Editing Metadata

The Keyword Panel and Metadata Panels are both rich in features. It is worth your time to learn about these features - you will save a lot of time in the future while adding, updating or correcting metadata.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stefanjan

Quote from: Mario on April 30, 2022, 06:56:07 PMIt is worth your time to learn about these features - you will safe a lot of time in the future while adding, updating or correcting metadata.
I have read it several times, but I'm of an age where I don't necessarily retain what I read or appreciate the significance at the time. Will read it again!

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator