Visually comparing one photo with a range of photos

Started by Stefanjan, May 28, 2022, 06:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefanjan

Scanning in old photos I would like to try and date the photo by comparing faces, hair styles etc against earlier photos. For example have Quick View locked to one image on one screen and be able to scroll through years on another screen.

Is there a way of doing this in imatch or do I need to have the imatch file window open on one screen and another application open on the other screen.

Mario

Select all images, the one you want to lock last (so it becomes the focused image and shows int he Quick Preview Panel).
Open the Viewer to see all selected images and scroll through.

If you have a second monitor, either move the Quick Preview Panel or the Viewer on the second monitor.
If you have only one monitor, switch the Viewer to panel mode so you can see both at the same time.
Click into the Viewer and navigate as usual.

Screen shot: Viewer in panel mode, Quick View Panel.

Alternatively: Use large thumbnails in File Window and use a layout that shows the date and time. Scroll without clicking (to keep the Quick View Panel unchanged) to find matches.
Alternatively: Load the sample image into the Viewer and then use the File Window and Quick View panel to scroll and compare with image in Viewer.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

Thanks Mario, that worked but it was a bit fiddly working across thousands of files to find a match and then scrolling back again to correct the original file.

In the end I used my laptop alongside my desktop with imatch open on both.