A kind of riddle or a clever idea

Started by sinus, June 02, 2022, 08:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hello together
This is just a question for everyone, maybe a kind of riddle, maybe someone has a brainwave for a clever solution.
For a better one than I have.

I have a kind of timeline within Design&Print.
On this I have 12 images on each page, they are numbered 1-12.
This numbering continues on page 2 of course with 13-24, on page 3 from 25-36 and so on.

(see attachements)

I found no other solution for this than to code it with a variable "hard". I gave each of the pictures a variable.

For the first picture:
{Print.Section.PageNumber|is:1,1;is:2,13;is:3,25;is:4,37;is:5,49;is:6,61;is:7,73;is:8,85;is:9,97;is:10,109;is:11,121;is:12,133;is:13,145;is:14,157;is:15,169;is:16,181;is:17,193;is:18,205;is:19,217;is:20,229}

For the 12th image this
{Print.Section.PageNumber|is:1,12;is:2,24;is:3,36;is:4,48;is:5,60;is:6,72;is:7,84;is:8,96;is:9,108;is:10,120;is:11,132;is:12,144;is:13,156;is:14,168;is:15,180;is:16,192;is:17,204;is:18,216;is:19,228;is:20,240}

and for the others corresponding variables.
As you can see, I did this until page 20, when page 20 is reached, the 12th image gets the number 240 (is:20,240).

But when the 21st page begins, the variable is over and it starts again from the beginning, instead goes ahead with 241, which is of course wrong.
Now I can simply add more pages to all the variables, which is actually not such a big deal.

But I wonder:
is there a simpler, more elegant solution?
Maybe with a math function? Or something else.

Maybe there really is no other way to do it, which is finally not a problem.
So almost a kind of riddle.

I just started to add pages and numbers, than I thought, ok, maybe someone has a brilliant idea.  ;D :)

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

You want number the files printed consecutively in ascending order, right? 1, 2, 3, ... 100, 101, ...

Would not be {File.Print.Index} do this automatically?
It is 1 for the first image printed, 2 for the second image and increments by 1 for each file printed.
The Container order must be correct (same as the files are printed on the page) but that is all. See the attached screen shot for an example.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

{File.Print.Index} a
{Print.File.Index} b

Ahhhh, that is it, I think, you got it, Mario!
But {File.Print.Index} works here not, but what works, is

{Print.File.Index}
I think, you meant this.

I have not the time now, but I could not resist, to try this and it seems to work!  :)
Puh, stupid me, if that works really, I can throw away all my silly "constructs" and use simply this short variable.  :)

Thanks a lot, I will still check it.
IMatch is so powerful, sometimes I oversee some easy things.  :-\ ::)
Markus

Mario

{Print.File.Index} is correct. I just messed up the variable name when typing it.

See IMatch Printing Variables for reference.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Markus - what you are able to create with the Design & Print always amazes me... You are the D&P Champion!   ;D

sinus

Quote from: Jingo on June 02, 2022, 01:48:00 PM
Markus - what you are able to create with the Design & Print always amazes me... You are the D&P Champion!   ;D

Andy, thanks a lot.
Your words are very kind, but that is too much of an honour.
There are also some here in the forum who do a lot with D&P, and yep, of course first of all, the master himself, Mario.  8)

What is true is that I do a lot with D&P because I simply enjoy it.
Maybe similar to how you like programming clever apps (I think), and what you like to do, you usually do very well.
That's why your apps are so good (I still use your search apps, btw).

It's really amazing what you can do with D&P, in the context of variables. When you see images in the context of metadata, there's not very much you can't do with D&P.
And that's why I enjoy it so much.
Markus