Folder Filter - Folders needing rescan

Started by Stefanjan, May 28, 2022, 06:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefanjan

I'm wondering if there is a way to filter all folders requiring a rescan?

Mario

No. IMatch automatically rescans pending folders in the background. Unless the automatic folder rescan is disabled.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

As previously reported, imatch is taking an age to automatically rescan so I am having to do it manually.

I tried switching off Windows indexing and also Resilio File Sync but this didn't seem to make a difference.

I need to investigate further, on my desktop I use Microsoft Storage Spaces across my SSDs and separately across spinning drives to protect against disk failure. I'm wondering whether this could be causing the problem.

I could possibly stop using Micorsoft Storage Spaces as Resilio Sync is backing up continuously to my NAS.

Mario

As I said in my reply to your other post: your file system is super-busy, firing tons of "folder changed" messages.
IMatch just waits for these thousands of messages to slow down and settle, and then starts scanning the folders reported as modified.

I don't know what kind of tools and software you use, but apparently it keeps the Windows file system unusually busy for a prolonged time.
There is nothing IMatch can do.
Maybe re-evaluate all the tools you use and consider that they are doing and if this is what you actually want.

Storage spaces, Resilio file sync - do you operate a network storage center with a 99.999% SLA?

Whatever you do, it seems to force the Windows file system to fire thousands of modified messages - and IMatch it designed to wait these out and then act.
No sense in doing anything while the file system is reporting changes every 30 milliseconds....
As soon as your file system stops screaming MODIFIED, MODIFIED, MODIFIED, IMatch rescans the modified folders. Quickly. And without any problem.

Maybe make your system behave more normally, and all problems will be solved immediately.
IMatch usually only waits 10 - 12 seconds before it can re-ingest a modified folder. Unless the file system posts "folder modified" continuously.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

Quote from: Mario on May 31, 2022, 12:40:49 AM
Maybe make your system behave more normally, and all problems will be solved immediately.
IMatch usually only waits 10 - 12 seconds before it can re-ingest a modified folder. Unless the file system posts "folder modified" continuously.
Just to let you know, I have had a super clean of my desktop computer axing any software I haven't used for a while. Pleased to say that iMatch is now scanning folder changes speedily. Thanks for your help.

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator