Collections>Dots>Red (85 Not 50)

Started by Darius1968, June 07, 2022, 06:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

This log file is for the investigation of idiosyncrasies, with respect to the IMatch Collections. 

Just now, I selected all 35 files in a folder, and applied Collections>Dots>Red.  I then selected all 50 files from another folder, and did the same.  At the get-go, originally, that place in the IMatch Collections was empty, leaving, right now, a total of 85 files - The file window correctly reports 85 files, but the collections says only 50 files! 

Hopefully, this log file explains why. 

Mario

Log files don't record that kind of detail.

I select 100 files in folder A and add then to the red dot collection.
50 files in folder B.
30 files in folder C.

The collection now contains 180 files. The collection count in the collection tree shows 180 and also the File Window when I select the collection.
Seems to work in principle.

Does the same happen with all collections?
Database diagnosis produces no warnings or errors?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

It can happen to any collection, and it's intermittent. 
I just did a database diagnosis (log file attached).  There were two warnings - One was a metabase error, which I almost always get.  I've submitted log files in the past about this, and have been told that it was benign. 

Mario

This is not the diagnosis log file.
However, your system seems to be under massive stress, the RAM is running out:

Memory Info: 93% (TotalPhys:16325, AvailPhys: 1020)

A memory utilization of over 90% is never good. IMatch has only used 2GB RAM in peak (Viewer, probably).

You can always force an immediate refresh of the category tree by clicking into it and pressing F5.
Just in case your system is so busy that there is a slight delay between you changing collections and the tree updating.
If there are other things currently running in IMatch (import, write-back, face recognition...) the tree update may be delayed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

I have no idea what could be eating up so much RAM! 
Usually, Task Manager reports a RAM usage of just under 50%.  And, the only things I have running are IMatch and Firefox.  So, what can diagnose the problems? 

Maybe, this was a fleeting occurrence - Some Windows process? 

Mario

I cannot tell about other processes.
But IMatch starts with a memory usage of only 159 MB, then has peak (short-term) usages of 236 MB, 788 MB, 843 MB 1.2 GB, 2 GB. That's the highest value used for a short time by IMatch.
You were running a database diagnosis at the time the system memory utilization hits 93%. No idea. File system cache? Browsers can easily allocate several GB of RAM when you have multiple tabs open...

Maybe something in the diagnosis eats up a lot of memory? Not sure.
The logging in IMatch logs the peak memory usage for the IMatch process recorded by Windows.
If the diagnosis would allocate multiple GB, Windows would record that and IMatch would log that. But the peak was only 2 GB, on a system with 16GB in total.
When IMatch starts 9.5 GB are available, 41% RAM is in use. IMatch uses only up to 2GB, so the amount of free RAM should go down to 7.5 GB, not to only about 1GB as reported by Windows and logged by IMatch.

Maybe just do a reboot from the system menu. Since Windows now never really reboots, just hibernates, all kinds of stuff can accumulate. A reboot often does wonders.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator