LineBreak in a Design & Print Text Container without using XAML?

Started by BanjoTom, June 11, 2022, 03:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanjoTom

In a Design & Print text container, is there a way to add a simple linebreak (or two, or more) without using XAML?

That is: I want to be able to put some very simple text into a Text Container used as a Group Header, and to have two (or more) lines separated, like this:

FIRST LINE

SECOND LINE

Of course, I can do that with an XAML Textblock. But without using XAML, neither <linebreak/> nor {cr}{lf} work to provide a vertical space between two lines of text.  Is XAML the only way to do this seemingly simple thing?
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Mario

When I understand you correctly: just press <Ctrl>+<Enter> to start a new line in the Text Properties property.
This produces a new line also in the text container:

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

BanjoTom

When I enter <Ctrl>+<Enter> in the Text Properties property, it does NOT create a new BLANK line, though it will separate two or more words into a new line, as your example shows... Even multiple entries of <Ctrl>+<Enter> does not add extra BLANK lines.  That's what I was trying to do...

sinus

Quote from: BanjoTom on June 11, 2022, 10:56:37 PM
When I enter <Ctrl>+<Enter> in the Text Properties property, it does NOT create a new BLANK line, though it will separate two or more words into a new line, as your example shows... Even multiple entries of <Ctrl>+<Enter> does not add extra BLANK lines.  That's what I was trying to do...

Tom,
Do you have bold checked?
Then it works not, see my attachement.

Although I work here at home on IMatch 19, I believe, it is still the same.
It works without Bold, but not with Bold.

See my attachments.
The yellow container is a copy from the one on the left but Bold is checked.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

sinus is correct. As soon as you add one of the text attributes (bold, italic, ...) IMatch internally must switch how the text is rendered (to XAML) and then the simple adding of a CRLF with <Ctrl><Enter> does not work so well.

But you can press <Ctrl>+<Enter> multiple times to add some extra vertical spacing after a line:

This is one of these situations covered by the Have Fun Exploring! paragraph in the Design & Print help.
Some text formatting tricks require some fiddling, or switching to XAML for finer control.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

BanjoTom

Thank, sinus and Mario...  I'll give this another try, now that you've pointed the way for me.   :) ;)