Quickview - fit image option

Started by javiavid, July 16, 2022, 12:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

javiavid

Hello,
I would like to propose an improvement for quickview.
I usually use the library offline on a laptop.

My library has 40,000 images and I have several options to view the images:
- Tiny thumbnail in quickview
- Generate 40,000 preview files (in addition to synchronizing them between the main computer and the laptop)
- Carry 300Gb of original photos

If you add an option so that the thumbnail is enlarged in quickview, I only have to take the database file (2GB) to be able to use imatch more comfortably.

It's possible?

Mario

The Quick View panel cannot zoom thumbnails. They are only used as a last resort fallback when no cache image or original image is available. All commands and functions are disabled in this case.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Application and set Allow thumbnail enlargement beyond 100% to yes.
This allows you to blow up the thumbnails in the File Window considerably.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

javiavid

I think that what I suggest is more practical because you have both a general view of the images and an enlarged view simultaneously. In addition, the way of using the program would be unified.
But if what I ask is something very complex, I adapt.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mario

It just does not make that much sense to enlarge a 300 pixel thumbnail. Bad quality, colors change etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

javiavid

If I ask for it is because for me, as a user, it makes sense...

I have argued the reasons and I think that seeing a large image is more interesting than an underused grey box or having to generate 40,000 files.

Mario

You can see enlarge thumbnails in the File Window. Is this not sufficient? You can even see multiple enlarged files that way. Is this not sufficient?
Making this change to the Quick Preview panel will require quite a bit of work. So let's see how many other users consider this to be a problem that needs solving.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

javiavid

Mario, maybe it's a translation or language problem...
But telling someone that they don't make sense is kind of offensive when I'm explaining the reasons clearly.

I fully understand that an enhancement request is discarded if it's something that requires a lot of work or most people don't need it. There is no problem with this.

But then the problem is not that I make sense or not, the problem is that you don't want to invest time in this option because it is not profitable due to low demand and I understand that perfectly.

Mario

Quote from: javiavid on July 18, 2022, 02:59:35 PM
But then the problem is not that I make sense or not, the problem is that you don't want to invest time in this option because it is not profitable due to low demand and I understand that perfectly.
I wrote it does not make sense to me.
Let's see how many other users +1 this. It a sufficient number of users considers this something worth spending some days on, I'll consider it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

thrinn

Javiavid,
another option could be to change the thumbnail size from th default of 300px to something bigger, e.g. 600px. This should, in your scenario, make the thumbnail display in the Quick View panel at least bigger. Still not scalable, though. The drawback is that this will also make your database bigger. And maybe 600px is still not big enough - depending on the size and resolution of your notebook screen.

In case you want to try it: The corresponding option can be found in Preferences > Database > Thumbnail Size. Remember that changing this option will not update existing thumbnails automatically. The steps required are all explained in the help: Choose a Good Thumbnail Size

But because a recreation of all thumbnails is required, I would first test this with a small test database, just to see if it could be option for you, and also to identify which thumbnail size would make sense for you.

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

javiavid

Thanks Thrinn and Mario for the suggestions
I will use any of these options

Mario

You can try this out by changing the setting, then selecting some files and doing a Shift+Ctrl+F5 > Force Reload. Make sure you have written back the files if they are pending.
This will create thumbnails with the new size.

If this is feasible, I don't know. If you need to have access to all 40,000 files when you are abroad, re-creating all thumbnails will take as long as recreating all cache files (but less disk space, though).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

javiavid