New exiftool found at each startup

Started by nbagno, July 10, 2022, 03:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbagno

This is new, (I think) this started after the latest version upgrade. Not sure. Im on 2021.16.4

Each time I start imatch, I'm getting a new version of exiftool is available. Not sure how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks

Mario

When IMatch starts, it asks ExifTool for it's version number.
If the number is newer than the number recorded in the database, IMatch re-imports vital tables and other data from ExifTool and then updates the database with the new version number.

If this does not work for on your system (no other user has reported a similar issue):

a) Is the database read-only?
b) Are there any error messages or warnings in the log file?
IMatch should log errors or warnings when ExifTool is unable to run or when the database cannot save the new data for some reason
c) Did you reboot your system once and then tried again?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

nbagno

Hi Mario,

The database is not read-only.
I don't see any errors in the logs, ExifTool or otherwise.
I have rebooted the machine.

Other notes:
The application is running on a VM.
I match web service is also on the VM. Webservice is  stopped before I run imatch. I've tried unchecking web service at startup and rebooted but no change.
Once imatch is started and closed, I can restart imatch without a new EXIFtool update warning.
Starting the app on a reboot will always show a new ExifTool found warning

Mario

Please enable debug logging via Help menu > Support.
Close and restart IMatch. If you see the ExifTool message again, close IMatch and ZIP and attach the log file.
Maybe this tells me something.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

nbagno

Playing around a little more this morning.

The new ExifTool warning only happens if Imatch webservice was previously running. Its normally running, and when I want to use the database I stop imatch webservice using the dialog box. If I run imatch without doing anything else after stopping the service, I will get the exiftool warning. Once that clears, and I don't restart imatch webservices, I will no longer get the error even if I reboot. Is there a way to send you the log file without it being made public? Or, if there is no Personally Identifiable Information in there I'm ok with that.

Thanks

Mario

Have you installed the latest version of both IMatch Anywhere and IMatch?
New versions ship new ExifTool versions (usually) and when you mix older and newer versions, you will also mix older and newer ExifTool versions.

Every time an IMatch release is released, I also ship an IMatch Anywhere Update (when required). Customers are supposed to keep both in sync,
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

nbagno

Looks like it was a version mismatch. I didn't realize that I had to manually keep IMA updated.

Cheers,

Ned