In the viewer more than 8 images possible?

Started by sinus, July 22, 2022, 09:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi Mario
I remember that a few years ago you decided to show a maximum of 8 images in the viewer.
That was absolutely right at the time.

Today, computers are faster and monitors are bigger.
For me it happens from time to time (honestly not very often) that I would be happy to view more pictures than 8 at the same time, e.g. 10 or 12.
Hence it is for me not very important, maybe rather a "nice to have".

So my question is: is it technically difficult to show more than 8 pictures?

If yes, it is OK for me as it is now.
If it would be rather easy for you to realise, then I would at best make a feature request.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

It is theoretically possible, never tried it.
Doing 8 side-by-side is already often too much for many "integrated" graphic cards (like the Interl GPUs) and making 10 or 12 possible would require a fairly beefy graphic card with 4 or more GB of memory.
Then all the changes required for the UI, commands, menus, resources, translations, necessary updates to the help system etc. Doable, sure.

But if only one or maybe a handful of users sometimes may require more than 8 images side-by-side, I doubt this will be worth the work and cost..
Feel free to open a feature request so I can see how many other users need more than 8 images side-by-side and how often.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on July 22, 2022, 01:39:26 PM
It is theoretically possible, never tried it.
Doing 8 side-by-side is already often too much for many "integrated" graphic cards (like the Interl GPUs) and making 10 or 12 possible would require a fairly beefy graphic card with 4 or more GB of memory.
Then all the changes required for the UI, commands, menus, resources, translations, necessary updates to the help system etc. Doable, sure.

But if only one or maybe a handful of users sometimes may require more than 8 images side-by-side, I doubt this will be worth the work and cost..
Feel free to open a feature request so I can see how many other users need more than 8 images side-by-side and how often.

Thanks, Mario
for your detailed answer.
Since also I do not very often miss this, I think, it make no sense to open a FR.

You have enough to do  8) and this "enhancement" is surely not very important.

I hope, you can enjoy also some days (or even weeks) as holydays!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus