Metadata help (Easy Mode - Full Auto or Manual)

Started by kiwilink, November 03, 2013, 09:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

I have a Canon camera and I have been looking at several pictures with the Metadata panel visible.  I see "Canon Exposure" that shows either "Program AE" or "Easy Mode".  I also see one that says "Easy Mode" and it shows either "Full Auto" or "Manual".  Can someone tell me what these two parameters are?

I looked in my manual and also on-line for an explanation but did not find much.

I have captured two screen captures from IMATCH 5 that shows the two different parameters. 

Thanks for the help!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sorted

It appears that the two photographs were taken in different exposure modes: one in Programmed Auto Exposure, the other in Fully Auto. Presumably the photographer altered the exposure mode between these two 'adjacent' shots.

It is possible that the camera doesn't actually use the term 'Easy Mode' in the manual or on the camera. This may be because the metadata accommodates different models which have differently labelled buttons/functions but essentially do the same job.

This is all guess work but a little experimentation with the camera (assuming it to be yours) would reveal which camera setttings affect which matadata values.

Mario

IMatch displays the original values returned by ExifTool.
Phil makes up these names based on the documentation he gets, and comments posted by users on the ExifTool user forum. Detail questions about naming used for certain camera features are best asked there.

The problem is that Canon or any of the other camera vendors often name the same thing differently for different camera models or different countries. What's called Easy Mode in the manuals shipped to the US may be called "AE" in the UK.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink