Disable Orange 'Database Diagnosis' Banner

Started by Imageman, September 11, 2022, 03:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imageman

Please advise how the Orange 'Database Diagnosis' Banner can be disabled - Thanks

Mario

Just run the database diagnosis.
The banner only shows when the diagnosis is overdue.

Regularly running the database diagnosis ensures that your database is healthy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

I get this banner when I open a different db which I haven't worked with for a while.
The banner is thus wrongly reminding me to run a diagnosis. This is where it bothers me.
I can thus understand Imageman's desire to turn this off.

Mario

Quote from: ubacher on September 12, 2022, 07:42:25 PMI haven't worked with for a while.
Each database remembers the date and time of the last diagnosis run.
When the configured maximum duration between diagnosis runs is exceeded, IMatch shows the banner (it has replaceds the previously used 'blocking' dialog box).
This is why the banner shows when you switch to the other database with the expired maximum diagnosis period.

You can extend the maximum time between database diagnosis runs via Edit > Preferences > Application. You can even turn the reminder off (not recommended, unless you are sure to run a diagnosis manually regularly).

IMatch databases are super-robust. But when there is an issue with the disk, a power-failure, network problem (for networked databases) or a virus checker decides for some reason to block IMatch from writing to the file (this has all happened!), damage may occur to the database file. And this damage may be in a rarely used section of the database...

The next time the database system tries to access the damaged portion - BANG - "disk image malformed" panic message and you're in trouble. Database not loaded, IMatch crashing, data lost - all bad.

The diagnosis is designed not only to check the contents of the database (what IMatch stores in it), but also the physical structure, the indices etc. The database vendor states that when the diagnosis completes without error, the database is OK.

This is why IMatch reminds you to run a database diagnosis regularly.

Together with the daily backups we make from all your important data (and which we keep for several weeks/months), the diagnosis is important to ensure the optimal operation of IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook