How do you deal with time zones when travelling

Started by Stefanjan, October 02, 2022, 12:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefanjan

Trying to figure out best practise when travelling.

Do you change your cameras to local time or do leave your camera on UTC and adjust in imatch when you get back?

Shooting a mix of Canon R7, Panasonic TZ200 and mobile phone. 

After struggling to get this right with offsets, I'm thinking it might be simpler just to change the times to local time in the camera or after I get back and forget about trying to work out offsets.

What do you do when travelling in a different timezone?

Jingo

well...I try my hardest to remember to change it in camera.. but when I ultimately get home and realize I didn't do it, then I modify the dates in IMatch   8)

Stefanjan

Quote from: Jingo on October 02, 2022, 02:10:43 PMwell...I try my hardest to remember to change it in camera.. but when I ultimately get home and realize I didn't do it, then I modify the dates in IMatch  8)
Do you just change the time and zone or just the time?

I think it might be simpler to just change the time and leave the zone as London.

JohnZeman

Because my Geotag Photos app requires accurate time setting for geocoding my photos later on I always set the time and time zone of my cameras to whatever the local time and time zone is wherever I am.

Then at home later on I just make note that the time of my photos was local time for wherever I was.

mastodon

I always set to local time, BUT Mario says that is better to stick to UTC. Well, with UTC you don't have top bother with time zones, but you "never know" what the local time is.

Stefanjan

jpegs from my phone come into imatch in local time, these sort fine in imatch with RAW photos set to UTC with a time offset but don't sort correctly in DXO Photolab.

I have tried to adjust the phone jpegs to UTC and offset in imatch but couldn't seem to arrive at the correct display time in the file window.

I haven't got round to importing my GPS tracks (from my Garming watch) yet to set location, I'm wondering what issues time differences might throw up. 

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

I usually set my camera clock to whatever local time zone I'm in (when I use Nikon's SnapBridge, the phone/camera do this automatically). My phone automatically sets to the local time zone (which minimizes confusion about times and schedules in that location). But it's easy to reset the image time zone in IMatch via the Time Wiz app if you forget to do so before you take the photo(s).

The IMatch Map module's ability to load GPX tracks and geocode photos works quite well once you've set the Time Zone Offset properly. I also use a Garmin watch, and find the results from recording a GPX track are usually more accurate than alternative ways of recording locations, including SnapBridge. SnapBridge can be OK, but sometimes it has issues when the phone chooses to do odd things like use cell tower locations instead of GPX location.
John

Carlo Didier

Quote from: JohnZeman on October 02, 2022, 04:28:44 PMBecause my Geotag Photos app requires accurate time setting for geocoding my photos later on I always set the time and time zone of my cameras to whatever the local time and time zone is wherever I am.

Then at home later on I just make note that the time of my photos was local time for wherever I was.
Same here.

sdb

I also change the time and time zone of my cameras to whatever the local time and time zone is, mailnly because I want the metadata to be both correct and informative.

In iMatch the displayed date/time is this local time because I have the Metadata2/XMP Import/Apply time-zone setting set to "No".