How do IMatch groups in the thesaurus translate to other programs when exported

Started by Damit, November 07, 2022, 11:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damit

I really like the group function of the thesaurus. It seems like it will help avoid some problems I envisioned in having complex keyword hierarchies. I am wondering if other programs have similar function and that this will translate if I ever want to migrate or work across multiple platforms.

Mario

Groups, synonyms and the very powerful keyword links are IMatch concepts.
Also the features which control how hierarchical keywords are flattened into XMP::dc:Subject and legacy IPTC IM3 keywords. And how existing flat keywords in files are mapped to hierarchical keywords via the thesaurus. These are technically challenging tasks which set IMatch apart from many competing applications.

I'm sure other pro-grade DAM software has similar features, more or less. I know some of the very expensive corporate-grade systems have related features.

The IMatch thesaurus uses XML as it's native import/export format. XML is is an universally accessible text data format, designed for transferring arbitrary data between applications and services. Using technologies like XSL/XSLT XML documents can be easily transformed into other formats and all modern programming languages support XML input and output.

It depends on the other application if it can import XML and what it can do with it. You need to contact the application vendor for details.

In addition to it's rich native XML-based thesaurus format, IMatch supports several additional import formats for controlled vocabularies. For example the text format used by Adobe Lightroom and compatible software. Which allows to designate group levels and synonyms, but no other properties. This makes it super-easy to import existing free or commercial vocabularies into IMatch. See also Free Controlled Vocabularies for IMatch for more info.

For vocabularies not directly supported, an IMatch app can be written that understands the external format and imports it into the IMatch thesaurus. This has helped in the past to convert/import vocabularies maintained by the scientific community (taxonomies) and other specialized vocabularies and keyword sets.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Damit

Thank you for this detailed response.

It seems I have some thinking to do.  I love IMatch and know I will be using it, but I need a way out for everything just in case (Reading "What if Mario gets hit by a bus" got me thinking).

It seems some things can't be reproduced, but that is no reason to not enjoy them. I just have to be aware of what will and won't transfer.  I am mostly talking about Lightroom as the other application. I does not seem they have groups, so I assume they will be interpreted as a regular parent category but the best way to find out is to test.

Mario

Quote from: Damit on November 08, 2022, 02:51:02 PMI am mostly talking about Lightroom as the other application. I does not seem they have groups, so I assume they will be interpreted as a regular parent category but the best way to find out is to test.
Groups don't become part of the hierarchical keyword. That's their purpose.
They serve as an organizational helper in the Thesaurus.
Check the Keywords Panel after assigning a keyword which has a group parent.

Since they don't become part of the keyword, Lr will not see them.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

loweskid

Quote from: Damit on November 08, 2022, 02:51:02 PM(Reading "What if Mario gets hit by a bus" got me thinking).
Don't forget, if Mario did (god forbid) get hit by a bus, IMatch won't suddenly stop working.  You should be able to carry using it for years.  I've still got an old IMatch 3 database which still works (old CD/DVDs which I hardly ever need to access, so I can't be bothered to upgrade it.).

I'm still using Lotus Approach which works fine even though support stopped in 2014.  If it ever did stop I would just transfer it to an older computer and carry on.  I'm still running 2 programs on a Windows XP machine (they need an RS232 serial port). 

Damit

Ah, Windows XP, how I miss ye!

I know, you make good points.  I just want to consider contingencies.  I am making a big dive into a world of work and I want to do as much preliminary thinking as possible. Thanks for your input!