copy with Ctrl C only with hovering over a field.

Started by sinus, October 12, 2022, 12:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Because IMatch is that mighty, it is not easy to find useful Feature Requests.  :)
Therefore, I can only make an FR here, where the implementation would be nice, but is not important in principle.

I have seen this in Blender (3D software), in the manual.
You can move the mouse pointer over a field and then press Ctrl C.
Then all the text in the field is copied, without the need to go with the mouse into the field. 

That means you don't have to move into the field to highlight the text, you just have to press Ctrl C over the field.
At first I thought, well, that's completely unnecessary, who needs something like that, really?  ::)
But then I tried it a few times for fun, e.g. to copy the length of an object and then assign it to another object with Ctrl V.
I was really surprised, but now I only do it that way. In the end, it's really quicker and, above all, easier.

That's why my FR says that this would be possible in IMatch. I would mainly use this to quickly copy text from metadata fields and believe that I would need this relatively often within IMatch.
Since, as I wrote above, this is not really necessary, an implementation only makes sense if it is not very time-consuming and technically complex.
Otherwise it makes no sense.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

BanjoTom

— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

JohnZeman

Why not just right click and copy without selecting the tag?
That's what I've been doing for a long time now.

Or am I missing something?

sinus

Quote from: JohnZeman on October 12, 2022, 10:36:55 PMWhy not just right click and copy without selecting the tag?
That's what I've been doing for a long time now.

Or am I missing something?

Yep, John, this is also possible, the behaviour like in Blender is simply even a bit faster. I hover over the field, like you do.
Then Ctrl C, while you click right. Then you have to click again on the entry to copy in the list, while I am already above the new field. 
My fingers are then already on Ctrl C and I only have to move the pointer finger to V and click.
There are several ways, but I have never seen a copy-paste as fast as in Blender.

But as I said, this is a FR at a high level, so you can argue how important something like this is.  :D
Markus

Mario

To copy the tag value (or values) of tags in the Metadata Panel from one file to any number of other files:

1. Select the files you want to copy to in the File Window, make sure to select the file you want to copy from last (so it's the focused file)

2. Click the pen icon in from of each tag you want to copy

Done.

Tutorial video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N--c4QIA66Q
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Thanks, Mario, for that.
I know this. 
BTW: a nice video!  :)

I mentioned Metadata, because there we do often copies from one image to another.

I thought this "copy from to", like I described, also in other IMatch-tools like Design&Print. 

But I think now, it is not worth to do so, you cannot do everything, what other software does. 
Markus

Mario

One problem I see immediately is that this is not a Windows standard.
When you press a key (including Ctrl+C), the keypress event is sent to window which has currently the input focus - for example, an edit field or text box you've just clicked into.

I think that most users would expect Ctrl+C to copy the text from the active edit field or text box, and not the text that happens to be in an edit field or text box that happens to be under the mouse cursor when Ctrl+C is pressed.

Could be something totally unrelated, you usually don't take much notice of where the mouse cursor is why you are entering data into text fields.

Another thing: IMatch creates windows on-the-fly, when you e.g. click into the Metadata Panel to edit a value. Before that, the text is just drawn, nothing to copy from the place where the mouse hovers over.

Everything that is an app has its own message processing and would not participate.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook