Duplicates

Started by rolandgifford, November 13, 2022, 09:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandgifford

Is there some way that I can automatically tag both files in a duplicates pair with a DUPLICATES or any other label?

The operation seems to be that a duplicate is identified (and optionally tagged) if a duplicate already exists in the database. What I'm interested in is the pair as the one I want to clean up could be the one that already exists.

Mario

I'm not quite sure that I understand what you want to achieve.

When you select files and then use Search menu > Duplicates (or Search > Copies) IMatch searches the database for duplicates (or copies) of all selected files. For each selected file, the Result Window shows the duplicates for the file.

See: How do I?... find duplicate files?

You decide in the Result Window which file you want to mark / delete. If you are new to IMatch, I recommend reading The Result Window in the Help System to learn about the features and commands available in result windows.

If you have enabled the automatic search for duplicate files (Edit menu > Preferences > Indexing) IMatch automatically adds duplicates coming into the database to the DUPLICATES category.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rolandgifford

Quote from: Mario on November 13, 2022, 10:13:27 PMWhen you select files and then use Search menu > Duplicates (or Search > Copies) IMatch searches the database for duplicates (or copies) of all selected files. For each selected file, the Result Window shows the duplicates for the file.

I've seen that, and the DUPLICATES on import.

What I want to see are all the duplicate PAIRS in the same window. I can the decide which is the original and which is the unwanted duplicate. These aren't always the same way round so the file already in the database may be the one that I want to keep but the new file may be the one that I want to keep.

Mario

QuoteWhat I want to see are all the duplicate PAIRS in the same window.
This is why I linked to the help topic for the Result Window. Because it explains how to display the original and matches side-by-side on the 2nd page: Including the Original with the Matches
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rolandgifford

Quote from: Mario on November 13, 2022, 10:21:52 PM
QuoteWhat I want to see are all the duplicate PAIRS in the same window.
This is why I linked to the help topic for the Result Window. Because it explains how to display the original and matches side-by-side on the 2nd page: Including the Original with the Matches

Sorry I should have mentioned that as I had seen it. I don't want to look for duplicates in a number of files that I have selected, I want to see duplicates across the entire database.

Assuming that I'm importing from scratch to an empty database and I have the DUPLICATES tagging set, I want to see these duplicate files and the other half of the pair together so that I can decide which to keep

rolandgifford

I think I've sort of worked out something that will work.

If I let the import tag DUPLICATES, select all of those then search for duplicates it will find the other halves.

Am I correct that this will work?

Mario

QuoteSorry I should have mentioned that as I had seen it. I don't want to look for duplicates in a number of files that I have selected, I want to see duplicates across the entire database.
Just select all files in the database then.
Click on the Database Node in the Media & Folders View. This loads all files into the File Window. Ctrl+A, Search menu > Duplicates.

These commands work on whatever you select. One file, all files in a folder, all files in a category, all files for a person or an event, or all files in the database.

If you select all files in the database, every original will also become a match. IMatch automatically sorts that out for you.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

rolandgifford

Quote from: Mario on November 13, 2022, 11:26:26 PMIf you select all files in the database, every original will also become a match. IMatch automatically sorts that out for you.

Excellent, thank you