Show version stack collapsed by default

Started by mrkstr, December 01, 2022, 11:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrkstr

Hi,

I'm new to IMatch. Maybe I'm just missing something.
I've imported my photos (raw+jpg) into IMatch. Version stacks were created at import. Now I'd expect that the version stacks are initially collapsed to save space in the file view. But they aren't. Al I found was to collapse each version stack by hand (context menu/toggle stack).

Is there an option to always show version stacks collapsed?

Best,
Markus

JohnZeman

Quote from: mrkstr on December 01, 2022, 11:59:37 PMIs there an option to always show version stacks collapsed?
Welcome to the wonderful world of IMatch!
As far as showing collapsed stacks goes that's what the highlighted icon in the attached screenshot does.

thrinn

Also, if you want to expand or collapse all version stacks in one go, you don't have to go through each picture individually: Use Ctrl+A (to select all pictures currently displayed in the file window, then T (to toggle between "expanded" and "collapsed"). The T shortcut is displayed on the context menu (Versions > Toggle version stack).

There is also a chapter Version Stacks in the online help with more information on how version stacks work. The Keyboard and Commands Cheat sheet (in the Help menu) gives you an overview over some often needed keyboard shortcuts.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

mrkstr

Hi, thanks for your input- I now understand how version stacks work:

• for each version stack you can (or must) individually set the version stack state to collapsed or expanded (hotkey T)
  • the global hide/show stack toggle in the tool bar (Shift-Ctrl-T) has effect only, if the version stack state is collapsed

I'd suggest to rename the "toggle stack state" function to "always show version stack" since it effectively disables the global toggle. And to set the version stack state to collapsed by default.

Best,
Markus

Mario

1. Each stack has it's own state. It can be collapsed or expanded.
2. Ctrl+A to select all files in the File Window (including masters). <T> to toggle all version stacks where the master is part of the selection. Or just expand/collapse individual version stacks as needed.

3. This toggle button in the File Window toolbar forces all stacks to be visible, regardless of their state.
If you enable it, all stacks will show as if they were expanded.
If you disable it again, stacks will be shown in their current state (collapsed or expanded).
This is why it's called a toggle.

If you find the corresponding help topic (Temporarily Show all Stacked Files) confusing or you think I should explain it better, use the feedback link at the bottom of the help page to let me know. Every help page has a feedback link and I improve the help continuously based on user feedback.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mrkstr

Thanks for clarifying that.

Quote from: Mario on December 05, 2022, 01:48:23 PM2. Ctrl+A to select all files in the File Window (including masters). <T> to toggle all version stacks where the master is part of the selection. Or just expand/collapse individual version stacks as needed.
I'd still like to suggest that newly created stacks are in collapsed state by default.

Quote from: Mario on December 05, 2022, 01:48:23 PMIf you find the corresponding help topic (Temporarily Show all Stacked Files) confusing or you think I should explain it better, use the feedback link at the bottom of the help page to let me know. Every help page has a feedback link and I improve the help continuously based on user feedback.
Done that.

Mario

QuoteI'd still like to suggest that newly created stacks are in collapsed state by default.
We've discussed this years ago and the consensus was to keep the version stack expanded. Less confusing for users when they start versioning and wonder where all their files are...
Doing a quick <Ctrl>+<A>, <T> to collapse all stacks in scope is not very hard to do.

If you create a manual version stack, the dialog displays an option to automatically collapse the stack.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook