Events Calendar - Incorrect Language

Started by lumacraft, December 13, 2022, 06:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumacraft

Here's a strange one, I think.

For the first time, I am trying to apply the Events feature. When I 'Create a New Event..", the dates in the calendar section of the editor come up in an unexpected language. The names of the days of the week and the months are presented in Catalan, I believe. 

2022-12-13_12-27-28.png

In iMatch (2021.18.4), I see that 'English (United States)' is selected under menu item '/Edit/Set Language'.

In Windows 11 Pro (10.0.22621), my system language settings are typical, I believe, for English-speaking Canada.

2022-12-13_12-25-38.png

I went ahead and added a few Events. When I close the database and exit iMatch, then restart and reload, there is no change to this behaviour. When I try a different database, the Events calendar editor again presents dates in this incorrect manner.

I have experienced no language issues anywhere else in iMatch's user interface.

Any thoughts? All that I can offer is the (likely irrelevant) observation that 'Catalan' is alphabetically close to 'Canada (English)'.

David

mopperle

I can not recreate this on Windows 11, language set to german and Imatch set to English. Imatch itself supports only English, German, Netherlands and Portoguese. So I assume it comes somewhere from Windows itself. As I do not trust this fancy Win11 style of displaying settings, what do you see, when you call the Control Panel directly and open the Region settings?

Mario

Check Edit menu > Preferences > Application: App Locale and App window language.
By default IMatch sets them to the same (if available) as the user interface language. But many users use IMatch with the English UI but prefer German or French or other number, date and time formats.

You need to restart IMatch to apply the changes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mopperle

So when both fields/Values are empty, everything is OK?
2022-12-13 22.05.15 000.png

Mario

Then the defaults are used. Which depends on your IMatch user interface language setting and your Windows language setting.

I use "de" for the App Locale (since I'm in Germany) - this ensures German date, time and number formats.
I use "en" for the App window language so I get the English app translations. I switch to "de" to test the German app translations, while still using IMatch with the English user interface.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

lumacraft

Quote from: mopperle on December 13, 2022, 07:57:04 PMI can not recreate this on Windows 11, language set to german and Imatch set to English. Imatch itself supports only English, German, Netherlands and Portoguese. So I assume it comes somewhere from Windows itself. As I do not trust this fancy Win11 style of displaying settings, what do you see, when you call the Control Panel directly and open the Region settings?
Everything looks normal to me in the Control Panel / Region settings:

2022-12-15_10-44-04.png

lumacraft

Quote from: Mario on December 13, 2022, 08:03:20 PMCheck Edit menu > Preferences > Application: App Locale and App window language.
2022-12-15_10-41-36.png

App Locale was set to ca and App Window language was empty.  I tried setting it to ca.  After I applied the change and restarted iMatch, dates in the Events calendar editor were still presented in Catalan.

David

Mario

App Locale controls the date and time format.
App window language can only select from supported translations (en, de, nl, pt) and falls back to English otherwise.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

lumacraft

Quote from: lumacraft on December 13, 2022, 06:54:35 PMI went ahead and added a few Events. When I close the database and exit iMatch, then restart and reload, there is no change to this behaviour. When I try a different database, the Events calendar editor again presents dates in this incorrect manner.
As another test, I created a fresh database, containing nothing but a single event. The behaviour of the Events calendar editor was unchanged.

David

2022-12-15_11-33-40.png 

Mario

What is it you want to achieve? Date and time in English?
Setting Appl locale to "en" should do it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

lumacraft

Quote from: Mario on December 15, 2022, 06:25:27 PMSetting Appl locale to "en" should do it.
It did indeed. Thank you!

I mistakenly assumed that 'Locale' referred to my location, and the languages associated with it.  Hence, I thought that by selecting 'ca', I was specifying 'Canada'. Obviously, unknowingly, I was choosing a language, 'Catalan', instead of a place.

The explanation given for the App Locale setting within /Preferences should have pointed me in the right direction.  The strong association in my mind between the word 'locale' and 'location', and not necessarily with the word 'language', threw me off anyway.

David

Mario

Locale is the term browsers (and Windows) use to describe your current locale (aka language, date and time formats, number formats and whatnot).

IMatch uses the default locale for the current user by default, derived from values returned by Windows. This usually works well and most users will not need to enter a value for App Locale or App Language.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

mopperle

QuoteHence, I thought that by selecting 'ca', I was specifying 'Canada'. Obviously, unknowingly, I was choosing a language, 'Catalan', instead of a place.

Hint for the future regarding language settings. If there are multiple types of the "main" language it is always named like this (english for example):
- en just english
- en-us American English
- en-gb British English
- en-ca Canadian English

Catalan is a own main language, therefore
- ca Catalan
- ca-es Spanish Catalan

Same applies to other languages like german, spanish, french etc.

lumacraft

Quote from: Mario on December 15, 2022, 07:25:09 PMThis usually works well and most users will not need to enter a value for App Locale or App Language.
It appears that I had inadvertently and mistakenly set the App Locale Preference to 'ca' at some point in the past.  Thankfully I experienced no unwanted consequences until I tried the Events calendar editor.

Your explanation should prevent me from making the same mistake again. Thank you.

lumacraft

Quote from: mopperle on December 15, 2022, 07:54:22 PMHint for the future regarding language settings.
Those examples are helpful. Thank you.

sinus

Quote from: mopperle on December 15, 2022, 07:54:22 PM
QuoteHence, I thought that by selecting 'ca', I was specifying 'Canada'. Obviously, unknowingly, I was choosing a language, 'Catalan', instead of a place.

Hint for the future regarding language settings. If there are multiple types of the "main" language it is always named like this (english for example):
- en just english
- en-us American English
- en-gb British English
- en-ca Canadian English

Catalan is a own main language, therefore
- ca Catalan
- ca-es Spanish Catalan

Same applies to other languages like german, spanish, french etc.

Very helpful.
Only for my curiousity:
For me as an non-english-speaking person, I have no clue: What the heck are then the differences between "en just english" and the other english-variants (American, Britisch, Canadian)?
On what "basic" is then the "just english"-language based? :o

And what about other English-languages, like Australia?

(once I was in England and an old chap explained me "if you want lern english, do not go to america, it is a xxx ... language. If you can not lern it here in England, then go to Australia, this english is not that bad."  (I am aware, that the same can be in e.g. America, that they think, british english is a "no-go" and so on. It depends, where you are come from  8) and we should be a bit more relaxed and open-minded ) 

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

mopperle

QuoteFor me as an non-english-speaking person, I have no clue: What the heck are then the differences between "en just english" and the other english-variants (American, Britisch, Canadian)?
On what "basic" is then the "just english"-language based? :o
Good question, just english, maybe the so called "Oxford englisch" what we learned at school here in Germany, like "Hochdeutsch". The differences between the other variations are mostly in pronounciation and some words here an example:
Toilette = bathroom/restroom (american english) = toilet/loo (british english)

QuoteAnd what about other English-languages, like Australia?
My listing was not complete, there are many,many more variants. But this is getting OT now. ;)

sinus

Thanks for the explanations! 
Very appreciated!  :)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus